Forums: Please enable LIKE function of IP.Board (for showing one's support instead of "+1", "me too"

Do you want to have a LIKE button for forum posts?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No. I don't want post weighting functions at all.

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • No. As I suggest another post weighting mechanism, which is realizable within IP.Board

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

porg

Since version 3.2 IP.Board features a like function.

"Like" as in "I like your post" or "I agree with the content of your post", as known from Facebook, et al.

I would love to have this function here in the OP community. Why?

It allows one to show support for some-one's proposition,

while at the same time avoiding noise from posts with the sole content "+1", "me too", etc.

I'd say that's a good idea... I've also thought in the past that a "thanks" type system would be nice too, like seen over at XDA Devs forum.

It's nice to receive thanks when due, I find it also serves as a good reference for newbies to generally see that someone is helpful/thus reliable.

is that a possible feature on IP boards too, I dunno...

As long as there isn't a down vote, that could impede my snarky humor.

This was enabled in the very beginning...

You could vote on your own posts and it basically spiralled out of control, so it was disabled.

Maybe with some bugs fixed, it could be useful, but I don't really see the point as long as you cannot search for "most useful" posts (maybe you can, I dunno), otherwise it will just become a popularity contest.

I don't know - in other forums the +1 and reputation was abused heavily.

I see that as useless, it's up to the poster to explain correctly what the thread is about and up to me to judge if it interest me, all else is just noise...

Yes, we had it enabled earlier.. and it's been abused like hell, that's why it has been disabled.

This is not Facebook. Lets keep it that way eh?

Edit: although it'd be nice to be able to tweet posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
My suggestion has no intension whatsoever to make the OpenPandora boards look & feel more similar to other social networks like Facebook or Twitter.

My intended application is merely to easily show support for an idea (—> democracy) without generating communication noise.

If this discussion gets concluded with "No. We don't want post weighting functions at all"

then I will feel no hesitation to add "+1" to posts with propositions I like, will feel no "spamming guilt".

Last edited by a moderator:
If you 'like' a post, you then get the option to 'unlike' it (but you still can't visibly 'dislike' it)

What a lot of daft language Facebook has introduced :(

Back