Frodo And C64 Emulation

merzbow

Still Fresh
i've been trying to get the C64 version of Maniac Mansion to work in Frodo but have had no luck so far. The game is in the form of two .D64 disk images (one titled "Side A" and the other "Side B". I never owned a C64 so i'm unfamiliar with the interface. Could somebody please explain to me how to get this game working.
(the main reason for this is the original DOS version has a screwed up palette in ScummVM, so i can only use the enhanced version with that. but that isn't the same one i played as a kid, and the C64 version is practically the same as the original DOS one)

The AtariST also has maniac mansion.

I don't have my gp32 handy to walk you through frodo, but it should just be a matter of inserting the first disk and running the first file from it, first and second menu options iirc. Then when asked for side b exit to the menu and insert sideB and get out of the menu.

Hmm... i tried that. no luck.
this is what happens:

READY.

LOAD":*",8,1:

SEARCHING FOR :*
? FILE NOT FOUND ERROR
READY.
RUN

READY.

i'll give the AtariST version a try.

ok, i managed to get it working in CCS64 on the PC.
the only difference is where Frodo automatically puts LOAD":*",8,1: CCS64 omits the colon so it becomes LOAD"*",8,1: , which seems to work. how do i do this with Frodo?

The problem with Frodo is the compatibility and because the emulator is so cumbersome to use. I have found multi disk images will not work and regular D64 and T64 images have a limited compatibility. Same with the blast packs but with 5 games in one disk it doesn't tell you what games are on it and you have to refer to the text file. I know they want to give the feel of the C64 interface but I wish it was more like MSX emulators, how you pick the same use the virtual keyboard or quick keys and just play it. To make matters worse it doesn't even support compression such as zip files like other emulators.

The problem is the floppy-emulation. When the game just has one file, it's no problem for FRODO to emulate it. But when it comes to floppy-emulation it fails and most games uses own-made floppy-routines to transfer the files faster than the standard routine. And these special-routines mostly won't work in emulators, especially FRODO.
The 'LOAD ":*",8,1' command is right to load the first program of a disk. But mostly the directories are marked with some signs/petscii-art which are directory-entries but no real files so FRODO/the c64 can't load a program. Use instead the file-selector and pick the one with a PRG ending...

The problem with Frodo is the compatibility and because the emulator is so cumbersome to use. I have found multi disk images will not work and regular D64 and T64 images have a limited compatibility. Same with the blast packs but with 5 games in one disk it doesn't tell you what games are on it and you have to refer to the text file. I know they want to give the feel of the C64 interface but I wish it was more like MSX emulators, how you pick the same use the virtual keyboard or quick keys and just play it. To make matters worse it doesn't even support compression such as zip files like other emulators.

I think its a pretty good emulator - plus none of the C64 emulators (CCS64 and WinVICE) on the PC support zipped files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back