Full root encryption

Gon

Hey guys,

I use full root encryption (via luks) for all my linux devices for a while now and wonder how practical this might be with the Pyra. I'd like to encrypt the internal storage (minus the boot partition) and both SD cards.

I like the fact that if the device gets stolen/lost or whatever no one can access my data. It's especially useful on such a mobile device imo. With x86 it's no problem - they all have special hardware support for encryption/decryption with the aes-ni instructions and I cannot feel any speed impact. How is it with the arm cores? Will the A15 be fast enough to make encryption possible without a speed impact, too?

Regards
Gon

zmatt (iirc?) did find where the crypto engines in the OMAP5 lives, and one of them is capable of block-device AES. No idea about driver status, but in theory, there's hardware support for disk encryption with hardware acceleration to about 120 MB/s sustained.

I don't know if this is for OMAP5 though.
It includes references to the OMAP2, 3 and 4 - but nothing about the OMAP5. The associated device tree documentation file is about the same.

However, I did find a references to the OMAP5 in a patch for this very file - but for some reason also a weird statement about the whole M-Shield stuff on TI's website that "security is not supported on OMAP5432".

A lot is not officially supported in the OMAP5, but works anyway.

Back