• Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aQwaBlaz3

The Future is Open.™
Website
Visit site
Please read before posting/poll

Everyone here im sure knows what the Indrema was. The fabled linux-based console. When I first heard about it I wanted it (hell, I didnt even know what Linux was back then) but alas, my dream died when it got canceled.

I got my GP2X today, while looking at the screen and seeing those icons, waiting to tomarrow to get an SD card. I specifically looked at the icon titled GAME. I noticed that it kind of looks like a slick-looking ipod-y game console (with some weird antenna coming out of it) :p I went on Paintshop Pro and immediatly put what was in my head onto the screen. I came up with this (well I think) kick ass teaser advertisment poster. Its the outline of the dream console I thought of when I saw that icon. It would be made out of the plastica stuff the regular iPod/Nintendo Revolution consoles are made of.

A controllor will come later, I suck with doing controllors!

Please, scroll down. The future is open, kids!

gpxz.jpg

How many hundreds of millions of dollars are needed to break into the console market these days? Can Gamepark afford to lose money on each hardware unit sold, like Microsoft is? Nice idea, but impractical.

Well I never said it was practical, I know GP is a small company, but it would be a cool idea. Heck, ya never know....*zips up flame suit* they could be bought out by Nintendo next week :( :p

Nice idea in an ideal world, but it ain't gonna ever happen in this one.

It would take a -TON- of venture capital money to be able to make enough of an impact to break into today's console market, and venture capitalists are not likely to finance a company that will have to release the source-code for the unit and for any games they produce to the world and rely on open-source developers to provide software. :)

There was another thread about this in the GP32 General Talk forum. I'm going to say the same thing here that I did there. Just get a PC. You can get a low-buck PC, install Linux on it, and have all the emulators your little heart desires. Pick up a USB controller or two and you're set to play everything up to at least the N64 at decent framerates with modern hardware. Or just mod an XBox. It's a fairly capable machine and they're probably going to go for dirt cheap now that the 360 is out. For GPH to make a home console to do these things would be like shovelling money into a furnace.

aQwaBlaz3 posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:49 PM said:
How big is GPH? 3 people? I dunno. I've been hearing different numbers.

It couldnt possibly be 3 people? Three people couldnt put together a product as good as the GP2X............probably more like 30-50.
its not 3 people, but there are about 3 or 4 MAIN people who deal with most business and oversee factory production

Last edited by a moderator:
GP32/GP2X's charm lies in it being a portable system capable of doing great things. The GP2X has TV-out, so that full-fills your need for an open source home console.

The GP2X has TV out already making it a console, if you want to use it as one.

And yes, Gamepark really is that small.

craigix posted on Dec 3 2005 at 09:59 PM said:
And yes, Gamepark really is that small.

That explains that it takes 3~4 weeks for them to recall/fix 500 units. I just don't see them selling millions not even hundreds of thousands. I doubt that GPH has a capacity to handle more than a thousand a month, which is sad.

if they wanted a console they could just do what M$ did and make a PC without a keyboard then put Linux in it. Get a smaller case though.

They don't need to sell millions of units.

20,000 a year is all they need to be happy.

(they are already pushing 10,000 so far!)

craigix posted on Dec 9 2005 at 11:56 PM said:
They don't need to sell millions of units.

20,000 a year is all they need to be happy.

(they are already pushing 10,000 so far!)
nice.

So, its Anna, The Hardware/Software Guy, and who else?

Back