GBA and GP32 - Head to head

I don't think every ones slamming the GBA just saying they have moved on. Just like I haven't used my VCR since I got a DVD player, or I haven't ridden my bike since ive got a car. Even you are planning to move on ........ " Until the GP32 can emulate the SNES to a decent degree I'll continue to play these titles on the GBA." We're just there already.

And Charging the same price for the likes of Mario Bros 2 or Zelda3, games with such a tiny production cost (a little porting), as other companies charge for games with production values through the roof , FF10, Shenume, Splinter Cell, etc is taking the piss in no uncertain terms. And now I have a choice .... I choose not to be taken for a mug.

It's not about 'moving on' JDUK. The main draw of the GP32 itself is the fact that it can play RETRO games. Hardly what I'd call progression.

Even when the Sony PSP is released I'll still be playing my GBA. Just like I still play my Master System, Megadrive, SNES, Saturn and Dreamcast, despite the fact that I have a PS2 and GameCube. Make no mistake, to me the appeal of the GBA is not technical. It's all about the games.

'Moving on' is one thing retro gamers never do. :)

On the subject of Nintendo's pricing policy, when that's another matter altogether. But like I said previously, there are plenty of original GBA titles out there worth buying.

"The main draw of the GP32 itself is the fact that it can play RETRO games. Hardly what I'd call progression. "
Yeh but 8 years ago you weren't likely to take your desktop pc on the bus and play Day of the Tentacle. The experience of gaming progresses relatively slowly the way we play the games is changing relatively fast.

Even when the Sony PSP is released I'll still be playing my GBA.
Still leaves you with the question of which one you grab before a long train journey ;)

retro gamers
What's a retro gamer? if you watch old Movies or TV shows are you a retro viewer if u read old books are u a retro reader? Nope, we're gamers, that's why were here.

Ok, ok so there was no point to that im just hot and botherd and stuck inside doing asignments, just needed to let of steam. :ph34r:

"The experience of gaming progresses relatively slowly the way we play the games is changing relatively fast"

True. But the GP32 does not offer any more advanced in terms of games than the GBA does. The main bonus is the open ended nature of the GP32 - the actual games are no better technically. Which only leaves gameplay, and both machines have plenty of that.

"Still leaves you with the question of which one you grab before a long train journey"

True again. But I tend to play my GBA at home, sitting in the garden or something. When it comes to long train trips, I'll take my GP32, make no mistake about it. It offers more. I'm just saying that I still find time to play my GBA.

The concept of 'retro gaming' is something that has not been experienced in any other field. We're all gamers, yes, but you cannot deny that retro gamers are a different breed to casual gamers. Very few people out there would get excited by the prospect of being able to play emulators on the GP32. I think that most people would dismiss it outright as pointless. That's what seperates us from 'casual' gamers.

Anyway...we're getting off the point here, and this topic is getting WAY too long.

To sum up:

The GP32 is an amazing machine, and one of the best investments I have ever made in all my many years as a gamer. The prospect of being to play SNES and Megadrive games on this baby has got me very excited and I'm still struggling to come to terms with the fact that I basically have an Atari ST and PC Engine in my pocket.

HOWEVER

I'm currently about two thirds of the way through Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on the GBA and having the time of my life. I'm still playing Zelda III and many other GBA titles at the moment, so both machines are getting pretty much the same amount of use.

I love games and will play pretty much any console that has something decent on it, and to me, that's all that matters. :)

Well I can see I am in the minority but I still prefer the GBA. It feels nicer and I prefer the d-pad on the GBA to the GP32 stick.
I enjoy the emulation and fun on the GP32 but I know I am never going to spend as much time with it as I do on Advance Wars or Metroid Prime. What is funabout the GP32 is watching it grow in terms of software being put out. What will be emulated next? Will we ever see a full speed/sound SNES emulator?

I'm not trying to bash the GBA ,but I personally just don't like it. Not may of the games seem worth $24-39 TO ME. Most of the games you guys mention I do not like, Golden Sun, Metroid,Castlevania. Maybe these are good games but I will not buy them. Some people are gonna like GBA better for obvious reasons and some will like Gp32 more obvious reasons...guess thers nothing more to say

Back