Gesture PC

Fzero

Advanced Member
Just been reading this, sounds interesting, its new and they're looking for developers to play around with the SDK.

http://leapmotion.com/

Quoted from their site:

Say goodbye to your mouse and keyboard.

Leap represents an entirely new way to interact with your computers. It’s more accurate than a mouse, as reliable as a keyboard and more sensitive than a touchscreen. For the first time, you can control a computer in three dimensions with your natural hand and finger movements.

I don't think so, probably just not 21st Century enough for some people eh.

But seriously, it's probably a user accessibility thing, people with arthritis and such, gesture is probably better for them

Currently my only wished for improved computer input are:

• 5 button mice should be as standard (i.e buttons on the side
  • Keyboards should have keys that have no standard function, and must be mapped to shortcuts by the user

I agree, I love those side mouse buttons for back/forward in browsers and explorer.. when I jump on work colleagues machines and find they still use a mouse without them I have to question why.

Great for the initial wow effect, but I don't see it replace my mouse and keyboard anytime soon.

I recall reading an article, linked by someone from here I think, that criticized simplistic visions of the future exactly like this, saying variations of what it called "pictures under class" and things like gestures are the present, not the future. I agree with that position. Similarly, here, there is nothing revolutionary. In practice, it's a touchscreen you use without touching the screen. Which, of course, makes it impossible to tell what you're doing since there's even less tactile feedback than a touchscreen.

Back