Getting Samba Up For Developing

DavidBeoulve

GP2X by EvilDragon OC's to 280-300MHz
Website
www.gamersgonebad.com
So I found this on the Wiki:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Samba_client

Installation

To use the Samba client on the GP2X, you must have at least Firmware 2.0 and have set up Ethernet over USB.
All set.
  • Download the Samba client for GP2X. Downloaded onto my PC...
  • Unzip the archive to \\gp2x\gp2x using full paths. Duh? I assume I'm not doing the "Ethernet over USB" step. It doesn't mean "Run USB Connection from GP2X Menu" I bet.
  • Open a telnet session to the GP2X. Any Telnet will do, I assume.
  • Enter the following command to tell the kernel we have a new module. This is the vital step the readme file in the ZIP forgets to mention. I'll get there.
Thanks for the help, guys.

For step 2, I FTP'd the files to the correct location first. But you could write a script to create the directories and copy the files from the SD, I guess.

Standard telnet to the GP2X for step 3 is fine, BUT I needed to do "chmod 777 /usr/bin/smb*" before I could use smbmount, the default permissions were not for execute.

The rest was good for me. Windows auth can be a bitch, but my administrator password works fine.

Thank you Noiz!
Ah, duh - so the hidden meaning is "We're copying these files to NAND at a specific location."

What is that location? I can write a bash script that will do that, perhaps? Based on the scripts that copy over the skins... if I know exactly where I am copying to.

FTP? FTP to what? The GP2X? How do I find out it's IP? Easier at home where I own the router but not at work.

Okay, I remember "chmod" a bit. I understand what you mean, there.

Okay, well Linux has a few root folders that are used to store all the main files (like "C:\WINDOWS" and "C:\PROGRAM FILES" for Win boxes). (Not trying to dumb down, just sounds like you aren't a Linux user).

If you assume all the files and dirs in the Zip are from root (so /etc, /lib and /usr for the three dirs), that's where the files need to go. i.e. /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/smbfs.o

This thread will get you FTPing and Telneting to the GP2X: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=27848
One important note: Some USB extenders will not work with Ethernet over USB and Windows will say something like "Device is not working properly" - try a different extender/port

Let me know how you get on

Edit: Looking over that thread, sounds like we could do with a more detailed guide for PC/GP2X communications... might spend some time on that later

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Noiz, I will work on Telnetting first, and come back to this. You are completely correct to assume I'm not very familiar with Linux. I know of those three directories, but that's about all. My exposure to Linux personally is Linspire for my wife ;)

If you can get telnet working, just enable samba in the gp2x menu, go back to the main menu, and then unpack to \\gp2x\gp2x using full paths from your PC as specified in the original doc, then your guaranteed everything will go to the correct place :)

Ah yes. I forgot to mention in that wiki article that Samba needs to be enabled first in the Advanced Settings on the GP2X. This allows you to access the GP2X from Windows by using \\gp2x\gp2x in Windows Explorer.

Ah yes. I forgot to mention in that wiki article that Samba needs to be enabled first in the Advanced Settings on the GP2X. This allows you to access the GP2X from Windows by using \\gp2x\gp2x in Windows Explorer.
UPDATE the Wiki, please. I wouldn't know what to add and be sure of being correct. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back