Ghouls, Ghosts And Goblins

chaos engineer

tit for tat
Website
Visit site
At the moment I am really busy with Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (SNES) on my GP2X, and I am really interested what you guys think about which game and and on which system is the best one of the whole Ghosts'n Goblins Series. At the moment I am thinking about buying a PSP just for the sake of Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins.

On the GP2X I would vote for Ghouls'n Ghousts on MAME, although the Megadrive version isn't too bad either.

I know, this is off topic, but I am just wondering what the hardcore retro gamers on GP32X think about it.

I've not played the PSP version, but it does look interesting. I wasn't too impressed by the 3D-2D approach (I prefer pixel art!), but having played New Super Mario, it doesn't distract from the 2D platform gameplay.

I'm in agreement with you MAME Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, followed by the Megadrive version. Have you tried the PC Engine version? It works with MagicEngine, but not with any GP2X emulators unfortunately..

I once spent a drunken afternoon completing Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts for the SNES. I always look back at it as being one of the best spent afternoons that I've had! The Mode 7 effects add a twist to the gameplay (such as where the screen rotates), although I've not played that far into the game on the GP2X, so I'm not sure how well it's emulated. Seems OK on Metroid though.

The latest Retrogamer's main feature is about Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, so it's definitely worth you picking a copy up as it runs through the whole series on every platform.

Hmm... I actually like the megadrive version a lot. Dunno why, just feels smooth. I also never had the nerve to play it for a long time. I always got frustrated way too early in the game.

Frustration.
level2_1.jpg

And one from Super G'n'G
gng3level2_2.jpg

ste_167 posted on Sep 22 2006 at 04:02 PM said:
I've not played the PSP version, but it does look interesting. I wasn't too impressed by the 3D-2D approach (I prefer pixel art!), but having played New Super Mario, it doesn't distract from the 2D platform gameplay.

I'm in agreement with you MAME Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, followed by the Megadrive version. Have you tried the PC Engine version? It works with MagicEngine, but not with any GP2X emulators unfortunately..

I once spent a drunken afternoon completing Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts for the SNES. I always look back at it as being one of the best spent afternoons that I've had! The Mode 7 effects add a twist to the gameplay (such as where the screen rotates), although I've not played that far into the game on the GP2X, so I'm not sure how well it's emulated. Seems OK on Metroid though.

The latest Retrogamer's main feature is about Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, so it's definitely worth you picking a copy up as it runs through the whole series on every platform.

Thanks for the the Retro Gamer hint. I guess it is rather difficult to get a copy of Retro Gamer in Switzerland as this is a U.K. magazine, and not really the kind of magazine that you find in the international press sector of our news agents. But I got some friends in London, I tell them to buy a copy for me.

Not bad Super Ghouls'n Ghosts in one afternoon, I guess you cheated as it is anyway not possible to finish one of those games without cheating.

FXXk, I think I have to buy a PSP (I do not like it, and I am afraid that I will lose so much time by checking out all the emus available for the PSP)

gng1redguard.jpg

gng1satan.jpg

gng3icebear.jpg

gng2loki.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Issue 29. They'll know which one though, as it has a big Ghosts 'n Goblins headline (and a Goblin..)!

retrogamerfn7.jpg

ste_167 posted on Sep 22 2006 at 05:54 PM said:
It's Issue 29. They'll know which one though, as it has a big Ghosts 'n Goblins headline (and a Goblin..)!

retrogamerfn7.jpg

Thanks for your help, I guess I have to leave my office and go home in order to spend some time on super g'n g

gng3level8_1.jpg

I've completed the SNES version on the GP2X and can confirm it works to the end.

It's really great.

However I think the original is the hardest one of all and has the most lastability.

craigix posted on Sep 23 2006 at 02:22 AM said:
I've completed the SNES version on the GP2X and can confirm it works to the end.

It's really great.

However I think the original is the hardest one of all and has the most lastability.

Good to know that it works to the end, my save state is now in Level 5 in this winter and ice landscape. Looking forward to the rest.

Yes, the original one is a classic but super g'n g is new to me. I always thought that it is just the conversion of ghouls'n ghosts for the SNES and I was such a pleasure to find out that this is the third sequel of the series.

o.k., I did it, I got my psp and Ultimate G'n G, it's amazing, and I already downloaded the firmware downgrader for homebrew, but first of all I have to beat Ultimate G'nG

Back