Gmu 0.4.0 Released!

wejp

Website
wejp.k.vu
I have released Gmu 0.4.0.

Changes since the last version include:

* Playlists can now be saved to disk
* Gmu now includes a simple setup tool to configure most settings without the need to edit gmu.conf with a text editor
* The track number is now shown on the track info screen
* A new option DefaultPlaymode for selecting the default playmode (normal playback or random)
* The cursor in the playlist screen can follow the current track (optional)

Webseite: http://wejp.k.vu/projects/gmu/

gmu7.png

Setup screenshot:
gmu12.png

Some of the Amiga Mod (mod, s3m, xm, it) is still off. I know this isn't really the main focus of the player, but it is still the best one available for these formats so far!

Are you using MikMod for them? Would it be possible to use Milkmod instead? It has been a little more accurate in my experience.

That aside, this player rules. I use it practically everyday hooked up to some nice logitech speakers. Thanks for a great player that is versatile, functional and uncluttered!

this is AWESOME: The cursor in the playlist screen can follow the current track (optional) love gmu!

but gmu will still freeze when trying to play back some files. i've sent a private email to wejp with the files.

further suggestions/desires:

on the track info screen, could gmu display the file's full path & name?

could gmu make the battery LED blink during SD access (ala gmenu2x) so that the user has feedback when adding a bunch of files to the playlist (right now gmu screen just appears to freeze and you hope it's chugging away).

will there be a command to add the current playlist item to another playlist (similar to the save playlist sub menu, but instead it would be add-the-file-to-another-playlist).

still looking forward to the cover art in the background of the playlist screen :)

THANKS AGAIN WEJP !!!

Great work WEJP on the addition of the gmu-setup.gpu file! I like how it allows me to go straight into gmu. Would you be able incorporate the same thing in gmu? (i.e. you could go directly back to the setup if you decided you didn't like the current settings...)

I think when you're playing a file and you're looking at the track info screen to have the STICK_LEFT and STICK_RIGHT scroll left and right to see the long file info would be useful (you already have this incorporated on the playlist screen)

If it's not difficult, could you have more ID3 tag data lines shown on the track info screen? (instead of having the track number on the album line, contained inside [])

I notice that a lot of music players incorporate 'ratings' next to them (i.e. a maximum of 5 stars). This could be useful for someone to rate their music and then have playlists created, containing only songs that have ratings that are 4 stars or greater - great for parties where you might be conscious of your friends tastes. (this is just a small idea, not something critical)

Still looking forward to seeing a page up and page down feature within the playlist screen (i.e. STICK_LEFT and STICK_RIGHT for page up, page down respectively)

I love how everything is clean and simple within this application. It still is IMO, the best music player for the GP2X!! Great work yet again WEJP. Merry Christmas.

Edit: In case anyone is interested. I played around with the clock settings a bunch and I find on mine that this player is reliable as low as 150 MHz.

prairiefire posted on Dec 24 2006 at 10:47 AM said:
I notice that a lot of music players incorporate 'ratings' next to them (i.e. a maximum of 5 stars). This could be useful for someone to rate their music and then have playlists created, containing only songs that have ratings that are 4 stars or greater - great for parties where you might be conscious of your friends tastes. (this is just a small idea, not something critical)

i think this is a bad idea and only good for database driven media players, which gmu is not! here's hoping it stays that way ;)

also if you're going to dj a party, you should be jockying, not letting a robot jocky for you :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
starpause posted on Dec 24 2006 at 10:57 AM said:
prairiefire posted on Dec 24 2006 at 10:47 AM said:

i think this is a bad idea and only good for database driven media players, which gmu is not! here's hoping it stays that way ;)

also if you're going to dj a party, you should be jockying, not letting a robot jocky for you :ph34r:
okay. fair enough. consider it forgotten. :)

xdreamer said:
Some of the Amiga Mod (mod, s3m, xm, it) is still off. I know this isn't really the main focus of the player, but it is still the best one available for these formats so far!

Are you using MikMod for them? Would it be possible to use Milkmod instead? It has been a little more accurate in my experience.

I'll have a look at it but can't guarantee anything right now. Keep in mind that the GP2X has no FPU so I have to use libraries that use fixed point arithemtics only. I don't know if that is the case for Milkmod.

That aside, this player rules. I use it practically everyday hooked up to some nice logitech speakers. Thanks for a great player that is versatile, functional and uncluttered!

starpause said:
Great work WEJP on the addition of the gmu-setup.gpu file! I like how it allows me to go straight into gmu. Would you be able incorporate the same thing in gmu? (i.e. you could go directly back to the setup if you decided you didn't like the current settings...)

This should be possible, but there are almost no buttons left, where I could map that function to, by default.
But I think I could add it as an option, so people who want that feature could map it to a button, instead of another less needed function.

I think when you're playing a file and you're looking at the track info screen to have the STICK_LEFT and STICK_RIGHT scroll left and right to see the long file info would be useful (you already have this incorporated on the playlist screen)
Good idea.

If it's not difficult, could you have more ID3 tag data lines shown on the track info screen? (instead of having the track number on the album line, contained inside [])

It is not difficult to add more information to the info screen. My main reason for not doing it, was that I wanted to keep the screen clean and simple and even with a larger font the most important information should be visible. I wanted to avoid scrolling there, but I could add some more information and those who use a skin with a larger font would have to scroll down to see everything.

Still looking forward to seeing a page up and page down feature within the playlist screen (i.e. STICK_LEFT and STICK_RIGHT for page up, page down respectively)

I will probably add that as well, but most likely as an option for those who need it and keep the default mapping as it is (horizontal scrolling for STICK_LEFT and STICK_RIGHT).

I love how everything is clean and simple within this application. It still is IMO, the best music player for the GP2X!! Great work yet again WEJP. Merry Christmas.

Thanks. :)

Back