Got My Sd Card - And A Mac. What Do I Do Next?

owen-b

Still Fresh
My MkII GP2X arrives next week so I've bought a 2gb SanDisk card and a card reader, and now I'm wondering what I need to do to it?

According to Disk Utility it's in FAT16, but I've read that I need to format it in a card reader to FAT32, and I've found the guide to doing this via Terminal on this site. I also have easy access to a PC laptop at home, and many PC towers at work, so I'm sure I'll get there in the end. However, I'm wondering if I even need to do it at all, as I've read people using FAT16 to run their files, emus, roms etc.

So, is FAT32 only essential for doing the firmware upgrade? (Which I don't need to do yet)

Many thanks
Owen

You really should do it with fat32. It's not that hard either, just format with the windows thingy to fat32 (quick format works). It'll save you some effort later on...

Loubear posted on May 11 2006 at 11:59 PM said:
You really should do it with fat32. It's not that hard either, just format with the windows thingy to fat32 (quick format works). It'll save you some effort later on...
Bearing in mind that I don't really know my way around the darker secrets of PCs - what is the 'windows thingy' to which you refer? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows drive formatting for dummies.
1. Open your computer.
2. Go to your sd card drive (F:/, G:/, etc)
3. Right click and go to Format, near the Eject option.
4. Choose under file system, FAT32.
5. Check quick format.
6. Click OK.
7. Give Lou 50 bucks.

Back