GP32 Gp2brew Needs You!

gp2brew

Website
gp2brew.com
needsyou.gif

With the release of the initial teaser issue of GP2Brew, we're setting up to bring the GamePark community a bumper first issue.

Of course, to do this we will need your assistance in creating content for issue one.

So if you'd like to get involved in any way, writing, making music or art, or even a bit of code (Fenix or otherwise), please get in touch.

Cheers,

D.C.C.

GP2Brew - Editor

Dunno if its a good idea but maybe you could have a page every issue with some easy fenix code tutorial sort of thing, helping many of those who want to learn. Not sure what people think and if it would be used but i could write such an article if there was demand.

For example the first one could follow on from the stuff on FenixonFire like a simple ball bouncing around a screen demo, each issue building from there.....?

Yeah, that's the kind of thing the full magazine will be bringing. The article within the mag for easy reading as well as files supplied with the release and on the website such as the sourcecode, examples etc.

If you would like to tackle a Fenix column, it's definitely something GP2Brew would like to feature. Possibly you could send over some examples of your sourcecode/completed Fenix projects and I can work out how to go from there.

nice! It would be nice to have it in html or pdf also....

Is there a reason that there's a file in it called "sex.xm"?

nice! It would be nice to have it in html or pdf also....

Is there a reason that there's a file in it called "sex.xm"?

Heh, I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that ;)

Actually it's the name of the tracker tune used in the mag, that's what it's called ;)

HTML version will be up very soon, converted into a nice three column layout, and then I'll just make a PDF from that.

Cheers,

DCC

Last edited by a moderator:
With the release of the initial teaser issue of GP2Brew, we're setting up to bring the GamePark community a bumper first issue.

Of course, to do this we will need your assistance in creating content for issue one.

So if you'd like to get involved in any way, writing, making music or art, or even a bit of code (Fenix or otherwise), please get in touch.

Cheers,

D.C.C.

GP2Brew - Editor

Wouldn't mind creating pixel art for people to use in games etc...
Cheers, Mark

Wouldn't mind creating pixel art for people to use in games etc...
Cheers, Mark

Actually I am planning an article on how homebrewers can find free pixel art to use in their games, there's a few good archives on the web if you know where to look.

If you would like to create pixel art that the community can use, GP2Brew would be more than happy to host it and feature it in the mag.

Possibly even a simple tutorial series on creating pixel art, with examples? That would be invaluable, if you're up to it :)

Cheers,

DCC

Ok, some progress has been made on finding a suitable solution for the first official issue's disk magazine engine :)

We have been granted permission to port the SDL version of the Panorama disk mag engine, which is not open source although the authors will allow ports to other platforms at their discretion. It is a fully featured engine that is used for several PC scene magazines, and has a layout system similar to HTML as well as a fully skinnable GUI with sound and mod tracker support.

I do have some low-level coding experience, unfortunately not a strong enough grasp of C/C++ to tackle porting this engine. Besides which most of my spare time will be taken up with content creation and co-ordination of the first issue of the magazine ;)

So GP2Brew will need some assistance in porting the code to the GP32 and GP2X, from developers with experience of SDL and preferably porting projects to the GP32 or an understanding of what is involved in porting to the GP2X Linux. It's likely that a port to GP2X Linux from the existing Linux SDL port will be an easier task than the GP32 port, yet we are aiming to have the engine running on both platforms so that GP2Brew can support the existing GP32 community and the burgeoning GP2X community.

If you're a developer looking for a challenge, or you've been looking for an SDL project to sink your teeth into, please get in touch via PM here and we'd love to have you on the GP2Brew team.

Note however, that Panorama is not open source, and all developers will have to consent not to release the copyrighted source code or use the engine in any other project without permission from the original developers. That said, when the engine is ported it is possible we may be able to create something more than a disk magazine engine with it, once the concept is proven.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to consider joining the GP2Brew team.

Cheers,

DCC

GP2Brew Editor

Back