GP2X Gp2x Developer Needed For Calculation Program

ericools

Still Fresh
I am looking for someone who can build me a program to run on the GP2X that will be used to take inventory by the user entering price and quantity values via a usb keyboard. The program will require basic math +-x/ and the ability to seperate the input into sections and sort it make adjustments and save it in a printable format.

The program is for commercial purposes however the code is to be released under the GPL.

I am willing to pay $1000 for a working program that meets all my basic requirements. E-mail me or respond to post with contact info and I will get you more detailed information.

- Eric Olson

A) I don't believe you.

B) A dozen devs on these forums would take you up on that offer if you explained exactly what you want it to do more precisely.

it seems like something like this would be much nicer on a pda of sorts.

walking around with a gp2x and a keyboard would be akward at best.

ericools posted on Sep 21 2006 at 01:38 AM said:
I am looking for someone who can build me a program to run on the GP2X that will be used to take inventory by the user entering price and quantity values via a usb keyboard. The program will require basic math +-x/ and the ability to seperate the input into sections and sort it make adjustments and save it in a printable format.

The program is for commercial purposes however the code is to be released under the GPL.

I am willing to pay $1000 for a working program that meets all my basic requirements. E-mail me or respond to post with contact info and I will get you more detailed information.

- Eric Olson

Can you elaborate?

Last edited by a moderator:
aapje89 posted on Sep 21 2006 at 08:10 AM said:
But ontopic again, are you serious? 1000 bucks is way too much...
Why? If there's demand, the price goes up.

- Alex

aapje89 posted on Sep 21 2006 at 02:10 PM said:
But ontopic again, are you serious? 1000 bucks is way too much...
You think? Don't underestimate the amount of work. And without proper requirements...

-entering price and quantity values via a usb keyboard
-The program will require basic math +-x/
-the ability to seperate the input into sections
-sort it
-make adjustments
-save it in a printable format.

And, added by myself:
-It needs to be idiot proof (real idiots, the people who read the readme and still don't get where to put roms)
-Pretty much bug free

Ryo posted on Sep 21 2006 at 04:55 PM said:
It's not much at all. We are talking about a program for commercial use...
yes I understand, but check the things the program has got to do lol.
a piece of cake for any 'decent' gp2x programmer.

But I understand you are serious?, may I ask why the gp2x, why not a pda or something else with integrated keyboard?
What are you planning to use the program for?

$1000 would be two weeks work for me. Thats a lot to write + test + design + debug + deliver.

unless the requestor has some very detailed specs to cut time down with..

seriously, buy a palm with thumb keyboard or old wince device.
heck, palm comes with docstogo (excel compat spreadsheet) or get a wince device, it has pocket excel. thats all you need.

(not saying I'd do it. i have a job.)

To aapje89, $1000 is chicken feed for a custom written application. $100/hr even then is cheap and thats 2.5 40hr weeks....

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 21 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
$1000 would be two weeks work for me. Thats a lot to write + test + design + debug + deliver.

unless the requestor has some very detailed specs to cut time down with..

seriously, buy a palm with thumb keyboard or old wince device.
heck, palm comes with docstogo (excel compat spreadsheet) or get a wince device, it has pocket excel. thats all you need.

(not saying I'd do it. i have a job.)

To aapje89, $1000 is chicken feed for a custom written application. $100/hr even then is cheap and thats 2.5 40hr weeks....

why bother, jEdit can do this stuff.

I am building a hand held machine out of a GP2X it will be taken apart and put into a know case, with a custom 28key pad made to hang from a belt. Here is an example of an existing machine http://wheelermachines.com/ndi_DC5.htm I have considered using a PDA however I can't find one with USB host (the keypad is custom, I can not use one that is made for a PDA), and most PDA's cost more than the GP2X, and time companies that make them may not like me building something out of their machine, and there is very little homebrew development for them, I wish my machine/program to be open to others for modification. I am quite serious about this offer, it is part of a business plan I have been working on for two years now, I have attempted to write the program myself however I just don't understand programing, my mind dosen't work that way.

As for the price, $1000 is what I have for a budget right now for the software portion of this project. I'm not wealthy and I have already spent a lot of money on other aspects of the project. However my machine will not work without a program, and want to get a working version as soon as I possibly can. Once I have one it is very likely that I will be willing to spend additional money to add features to it.

I will work on some examples of what I want the program sceen and the print outs to look like.

- Eric Olson

ericools posted on Sep 21 2006 at 09:46 PM said:
I am building a hand held machine out of a GP2X it will be taken apart and put into a know case, with a custom 28key pad made to hang from a belt. Here is an example of an existing machine http://wheelermachines.com/ndi_DC5.htm I have considered using a PDA however I can't find one with USB host (the keypad is custom, I can not use one that is made for a PDA), and most PDA's cost more than the GP2X, and time companies that make them may not like me building something out of their machine, and there is very little homebrew development for them, I wish my machine/program to be open to others for modification. I am quite serious about this offer, it is part of a business plan I have been working on for two years now, I have attempted to write the program myself however I just don't understand programing, my mind dosen't work that way.

As for the price, $1000 is what I have for a budget right now for the software portion of this project. I'm not wealthy and I have already spent a lot of money on other aspects of the project. However my machine will not work without a program, and want to get a working version as soon as I possibly can. Once I have one it is very likely that I will be willing to spend additional money to add features to it.

I will work on some examples of what I want the program sceen and the print outs to look like.

- Eric Olson

In that case the software should be really really easy to do. You need to think about replacing the firmware really, or using a modified version so the users never get to see the main menu screen. It wouldn't look very professional with Games and Video playback ability on the front end...

Please feel free to contact me when you know exactly what you want in the way of a functional spec.

In that case the software should be really really easy to do. You need to think about replacing the firmware really, or using a modified version so the users never get to see the main menu screen. It wouldn't look very professional with Games and Video playback ability on the front end...

Please feel free to contact me when you know exactly what you want in the way of a functional spec.
[/quote]

I was hoping that it could load the program on startup, I know exactly what I want, I just need to put it into words and pictures. I'll see what I can do.

I have pictures of what the screen should look like while in use, however I don't have a place to host them.

Here is a more detailed discription of the basic functions of the program.

The device will have a 10-keypad surrounded by function keys that will be used to perform specialized tasks. The program must allow the user to enter data in price quantity format, broken down into areas, sections and departments. It must beep when errors are made entering data. The program will need a simple interface showing the user what prompt they are at, the last entered value or value currently being entered, what breakdown they are in, the current time, and battery level if possible. The data must be saved in a file that can be easily backed up or printed.

---------------------------------------------------

The Keypad will have 28 keys

Keys:
Numbers 0 though 9
Decimal point
Area (F1)
Section (F2)
Memory (F3)
Department (F4)
Price (F5)
Quantity (F6)
Enter
Equals
Undo (F7)
Minus (for entering negative values)
Multiply
Divide
Search (F8)
Arrow Up
Arrow Down
Function (hold toggle alpha keys, turns all other keys into letters A-Z and space)
Control (F9)
+ 1 readout
+ 2 modify
+ 3 printout
+ 6 search
+ 7 (reserved for transmitting to laptop)
+ 8 (reserved for receiving from laptop)

Prompts:

Area: (entries up to 3 digits allowed)
User types a number than the area (F1)
all data entered afterwards goes into that area

Section: (entries up to 2 digits allowed)
Same thing, except sections are contained within areas

Departments: (entries up to 3 digits allowed)
Same thing, except departments are contained within sections

Price: (entries up to 6 digits allowed)
user enters price then (F5)

Quantity: (entries up to 4 digits allowed)
user enters a number then (F6)
that number is held
user enters another then (F6) again
the new number is added to the previous one and held
-this is repeated as needed
user hits the equals key and the total is saved and user is returned to the price prompt

Alternately the user can hit the enter key after typing the first quantity and be brought directly back to the price prompt.

Keys:

Search Key
Pressing the search key should bring you to the list of the entered values
then using the arrow up and down keys the user can select a line of entered data
and modify it by hitting Control + 2 then typing in new information then enter or delete it by hitting undo.

Example of search screen: (actual screen should only show about 4-5 lines w/out scrolling)
$ 199
Q 5
Section 2
Dept 502
$ 249
Q 12
Dept 504
$ 189
Q 24
$ 642
Q 3
Section 3
Dept 505

Totals should be added up and displayed on screen by hitting Control +1)

How the final viewable file or printable file should look something like this.
(generated by hitting Control + 3)
The data must be combined with totals from previous inventories.

The following is an example of what the printout should look like, in posting the formating was messed up, however I can provide an openoffice/msword version of this.
-------------------
Freeworld Technologies - Inventory Services

Current 7/7/05 Previous 6/7/05 Change
Area 101 - Pop Doors
Section 1 - 3 Doors Pop
Pop 501 - $514.25 $492.12 $22.13
GM 502 - $11.00 $11.00 $0.00
Section Total: $525.25 $503.12 $22.13
Section 2 - 2 Doors Dairy
Dairy 504 - $326.55 $345.60 -$19.05
Section Total: $326.55 $345.60 -$19.05
Section 3 - 1 Door Deli