GP2X Gp2x Emulation Under Windows

colba

Still Fresh
I have searched the board and cannot find details on this.

It would be nice if we had an emulator of the GP2X that runs under Windows and Linux so that we can test non SDL based code (ie using rlyeh's-minimal-library) without having to contintiualy transfer the code to the GP2X to test it.

This would also allow me to do GP2X development while at work (during lunch breaks of course) while my GP2X is safely at home.

I'm sure it would speed up the development cycle.

Now that the firmware source has been released and we have all the details of the hardware it should be possible to do this.

I would have a go at it myself if I had more time, but anyway I'm sure one of the communities gurus could do a much better job more quickly.

What do you all think ?

Already discussed, and the end result was that no one wanted to do it.

One of the reasons being that the GP32 is a far simpler device to emulate, and yet the emulator for that only runs at 40Mhz, and doesn't support sound and lots of other things.

Emulating a dual-core 200Mhz machine with 2D acceleration hardware is going to be a very demanding task. It can certainly be done, but your probably talking 6 months worth of work for something decent, or a couple of weeks for something that'll emulate the main things, but very slowly.

Basically, I think the people who could make a good job of such a thing are far happier doing other things for the 2X directly.

Squidge posted on Dec 29 2005 at 03:21 PM said:
Already discussed, and the end result was that no one wanted to do it.

One of the reasons being that the GP32 is a far simpler device to emulate, and yet the emulator for that only runs at 40Mhz, and doesn't support sound and lots of other things.

Emulating a dual-core 200Mhz machine with 2D acceleration hardware is going to be a very demanding task. It can certainly be done, but your probably talking 6 months worth of work for something decent, or a couple of weeks for something that'll emulate the main things, but very slowly.

Thanks Squidge, I wasn't aware that the GP32 had been emulated and that it ran slowly.

Basically, I think the people who could make a good job of such a thing are far happier doing other things for the 2X directly.

Your right, I think we would all prefer to do stuff for the 2X directly, I was just hoping that some one had done some work on this. From what you say it sounds like a non starter.

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
If your reason is for non-SDL develpoment, then its a cakewalk; ie: use SDL, but ewrap it up.

Instewad of using an SDL open-window type funciton, make your own called "init platform"; for rlyehs, call the function in question; for SLD, call theirs. No biggy.

Sure its not 100% correct, but its 99% correct .. accelerate development, cross platform bonus.

Don't be lazy ;) We've all been doing this for years on every platform :)

jeff

Back