Gp2x Killed My Card!?

kingcorn

Still Fresh
Earlier today I was watching a film on my GP2X when a friend of mine started talking to me. I paused the film and as we were talking the batteries died and instead of turning the unit off immediately I left it with the funny screen and noises. When I turned it off and put in new batteries though, it wouldn't boot up past the green LOADING... screen. If I take the card out it will boot up but as soon as I put in the card it freezes up again. I checked the card in a card reader in XP and it also won't recognize the card and just does the hourglass thing for ages. I can't even format the card and reload the 1 gig of stuff on it! Anybody have any suggestions as to how to access the card or at least reformat it?

well, it sounds strange that it would not be reformatable, however it is entirely possible that it trashed your filesystem on the sd card, and it actually wouldnt come as a surprise to me if winblows has gone mad at it.

well, i cant help you with windows, but if you could test the card in a linux box i could help you.

I had this once and the only solution that worked was this:

Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt

Then type:

format h: (h being the volume of the SD card - may be e or f on yours).

Let us know if you get it working :)

Tonka

Tonka posted on Dec 19 2006 at 10:19 AM said:

Then type:

Tonka

I have a HP usb format tool that was able to resolve quite a few problems for me
when I was messing with mbrs/partitions on sd and usb cards.
(eg a camera formatted a 2gb SD as 1Gb, and Windows format wouldnt fix it)

but I can't find a link to it anymore - this may be the same tool

http://ipodlinux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10931

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonka posted on Dec 19 2006 at 11:19 AM said:

Then type:

Tonka
he says the card cant be formatted...

aapje89 posted on Dec 19 2006 at 03:03 PM said:
Tonka posted on Dec 19 2006 at 11:19 AM said:

Then type:

Tonka
he says the card cant be formatted...

He says that HE can't format it - doesn't mean that it can't be formatted... <_<

I couldn't reformat using windows explorer but it worked when I used the command prompt which is why I posted the advice ;)

Thanks anyway for your valuable contribution...

If it can't be formatted, it may be worth checking to see if it shows up in Disk Management - the partition table may be screwed, which would prevent it from being formatted.

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. If you can see the drive you may be able to re-partition and then format it.

I've tried everything that's been mentioned. Command prompt is a no go, doesn't show up under Disk Management, and I tried using QTpart from a Knoppix LiveCD. Nothing worked. It just reads for a looong time and then computer says no. Any other ideas?

You could try a zerofill - easiest to do this from knoppix:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX

(where X is the appropriate letter for where the drive is)

Be very careful that you chose the correct disk, as this will overwrite the disk completely.

Have you tried formatting it in a camera or some other device? Clutching at straws a bit now, but it's worth a try I guess...

Plus how long is a long time? 5-10 mins? SD cards can be REALLY slow if there's a problem, but tend to get there in the end. Try putting it in & just leaving it. If it doesn't show after 10-15 mins, then something more drastic may be required.

I have a similar problem, I hadn't done anything different however one day I put the card in my card reader to transfer some files and it failed to read it. Tried updating the drivers (as the card reader is built into my printer) still the same, tried a different card not SD. That card worked no prob.

Windows just can't read is, in Disk Management it comes up with Unreadable. However when I put it in the GP2x I can browse every directory except my GAMES directory (DOH!) and access my movies/music just fine. If I try and browse to GAMES on the GP2x the device locks up. So I figure there is something wrong with the file system.

With the card in the card reader on my printer sometimes windows says "Card is not formatted" other times it say "Insert Card"
Tried formatting the device via command prompt as windows wouldn't. Recieved the message
Insert new disk for drive F:
and press ENTER when ready...
Error in IOCTL call.

Tried running KillDisk on the card, no joy, mainly cause windows cannot read it.

If I use the GP2x in USB mode and select the SD card, windows locks up and then eventually the gp2x.

So I'm stumpt, atleast there is the nand to use until my back up card arrives.

Back