Gp2x Mk1

sliteist

Website
www.myspace.com
hello there, im thinking of selling my gp2x MK1 im not shore on the price, what should i put it up for. i have read around here that the MK1 has a better screen. the MK1 models are not produce anymore, does this mean that it it worth £100?; what is a reasonable price to ask for. its in "as new" condition, no scratches, no damage.

thanks.

The screen isn't really better it is more like a different one (brighter, scanlines; the other is darker, better contrast, no scanlines).
Plus the joystick isn't really good. They've fixed it on the MKII.
It also depends on what you're going to offer with it (Power suply? Video cable? Batteries? Charger? SD card? ...)

Second hand MK1's can be bought for under 100 euros even in perfect condition, MK2's tend to go for around 110 - 130 euros...

Extras evidently count, case, batteries, SD card, Cradle, etc... :)

Edit: The cheapest second hand MK1 I've seen ( and bought ) cost me 60 euros.

virusx said:
The screen isn't really better it is more like a different one (brighter, scanlines; the other is darker, better contrast, no scanlines).
Not really, the MK1 has a much wider viewing angle, especially vertically. The MK1 has the better contrast BTW, not the MK2(Not technically true, but at the angle I hold the GP2X the MK1 has better contrast). The MK2 is nearly impossible to use, it will drift out of its viewing zone and you need to hold it at an uncomfortable angle (Your mileage may vary, but the MK1 still has a better screen.)

OMG, don't spread around untruths. IT IS THE SAME STICK. I have written that more times than I care too, they fixed nothing. (While they technically rotated the stick, it is the same stick with the same problems)

It also depends on what you're going to offer with it (Power suply? Video cable? Batteries? Charger? SD card? ...)

Right, and some people like to get the extras for free, I am selling a MK1 with charger, case (Nice DS case), DaveC joystick cap, USB 2.0 SD reader, batteries, charger and 2GB SD card for $150 (FREE shipping in the USA), and there are still hagglers (PS, feel free to haggle, just beware that I am not letting it go for $100 with the 2GB card, without the 2GB card is another story, make an offer.)

@ sliteist, maybe check the forum Marketplace or search completed auctions on eBay to find the price range of things you want to sell. (To search completed auctions you need to be signed in.)

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
virusx said:
Not really, the MK1 has a much wider viewing angle, especially vertically. The MK1 has the better contrast BTW, not the MK2. The MK2 is nearly impossible to use, it will drift out of its viewing zone and you need to hold it at an uncomfortable angle (Your mileage may vary, but the MK1 still has a better screen.)

OMG, don't spread around untruths. IT IS THE SAME STICK. I have written that more times than I care too, they fixed nothing. (While they technically rotated the stick, it is the same stick with the same problems)
Well that is wrong. The screen on the MK2 does have better contrast. Contrast is defined as the ratio of dark to bright. The MK2 screen has brighter whites, and darker black level thus MORE contrast not less. The MK1 screen has dimmer whites and poor (more like medium gray) black level, thus LESS contrast. Which is "better" is subjective. The MK1 has poor black level, faded colors, scanlines, but a better viewing angle. The MK2 screen is brighter, has no scanlines, more saturated color, but a finicky viewing angle and some gamma issues.

While the MK2 has the same stick mechanism the rotation fixes the diagonal bias problem. This means that they DID fix "something" which was diagonal bias. Diagonal bias made many games near unplayable.

nubie said:
The MK1 has the better contrast BTW, not the MK2. The MK2 is nearly impossible to use...

Well, Mk2 HAS better contrast and it's not hard to see it when you have both in front of you.
I like both screens. Even if the Mk2 has a viewing angle problem I found it nice in term of contrast.
You don't have to modify the config to have a pretty good image.
You have to for the Mk1 because of the flickering and the image being to bright without changing the option.
I would prefer my Mk1 screen because of the scanline effect (retro feeling).
But I understand people that don't like it.
For most people Mk2 screen would be 'Better'; but I prefer the Mk1 one.

It's the same joystick, yes, but a major issue has been corrected.
Some games are almost unplayable on Mk1 while they are enjoyable on Mk2.

EDIT: I have a Mk1 and I'm very happy with it. Even the stick problem doesn't bother me that much. I'm used to it now.

Sorry if I didn't explained right all my thoughts, but my english isn't that good. :p

ok £70-£60 sounds fine, it will come with a 1gig sandisk, a set of 2600mA nihi bats + charger and a old nintendo gamboy bag.

thanks everyone.
PS. ebay wasn't much help, just so you know

DaveC said:
Well that is wrong. The screen on the MK2 does have better contrast. Contrast is defined as the ratio of dark to bright. The MK2 screen has brighter whites, and darker black level thus MORE contrast not less. The MK1 screen has dimmer whites and poor (more like medium gray) black level, thus LESS contrast. Which is "better" is subjective. The MK1 has poor black level, faded colors, scanlines, but a better viewing angle. The MK2 screen is brighter, has no scanlines, more saturated color, but a finicky viewing angle and some gamma issues.

I guess you are right, they both suck (compared to perfection), I prefer the MK1 because the MK2 viewing falls off so quickly that it might as well have worse contrast (because it does anyway at a comfortable viewing angle for me).
virusx said:
Well, Mk2 HAS better contrast and it's not hard to see it when you have both in front of you.
I like both screens. Even if the Mk2 has a viewing angle problem I found it nice in term of contrast.
You don't have to modify the config to have a pretty good image.
You have to for the Mk1 because of the flickering and the image being to bright without changing the option.
I would prefer my Mk1 screen because of the scanline effect (retro feeling).
But I understand people that don't like it.
For most people Mk2 screen would be 'Better'; but I prefer the Mk1 one.

Understood, I personally have trouble with both screens, but the MK1 allows me to get comfortable without the lousy viewing angle making the picture bad.

It's the same joystick, yes, but a major issue has been corrected.
Some games are almost unplayable on Mk1 while they are enjoyable on Mk2.

EDIT: I have a Mk1 and I'm very happy with it. Even the stick problem doesn't bother me that much. I'm used to it now.

Sorry if I didn't explained right all my thoughts, but my english isn't that good. :p

NP, I thought by "fixed the stick" that you implied all problems with it were solved, or that it had been replaced, neither of which are really true.
sliteist said:
thanks everyone.
PS. ebay wasn't much help, just so you know
The eBay trick only works well if there are a lot selling, this console is so small that it doesn't move a lot of product.

I am glad to see you got a price set, good luck! :)

Back