Gp2x Mk2 Speaker Issue

andy@hill.vispa.com

Still Fresh
Hi guys,

New to the forum and the GP2x in general but really enjoying it so far... except for one small thing!!

The speakers on my mk2 2x have some really bad distortion, even at really low volume levels. This is also the case when using the headphones.

I don't see how it can be a hardware problem because the startup sound is fine and when you're playing mp3's you can "fix" the distortion by changing the equalizer setting?!?!?!?

I'm running firmware 3.0.0 but I've tried all of the firmwares from 2.0.0 up to 4.1.0 and nothing there fixes the problem.

I'm getting close to the end of my sanity with this one and can't work it out, I'm wondering if something on my NAND is corrupt, maybe in the Linux boot sequence? Is there any way to re-install these files???

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks.

You might want to check the "Volume Limit" settings.
It tends to mess up the sound :)

Thanks for your reply EvilDragon,

I've tried fiddling with the volume limit setting but it doesn't seem to have any effect. It's really very odd.

For example, when I open the music player to play an mp3 and the equalizer setting is "Normal" there's distortion through the speakers and headphones, then if I change the equalizer setting to, for example, "Rock", the distortion disappears. It's almost as if, by sending a command to the sound driver, the distortion goes away.

I was wondering if it's a bad block on my NAND or something like that? I'm thinking about trying the NANDBlanker app and then installing Open2x Dr7 to see if that helps. If nothing else, at least the menu on GMenu2x should give me some more 'settable' volume options than the stock firmware does!

What do you think??

Back