Gp2x Power Supply Mod

Squidge said:
A lot of ATX power supplys are typically very bad at regulation unless they have a decent amount of load on then, and they expect the load from a motherboard, harddisk, etc. I used one for a 12V power supply once, bad idea.
I just throw an old hard drive and/or CDrom on the thing for a load.

No reason you can't use a PC supply, newer ones even have the 3.3v on the SATA power, so it is easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
quadomatic said:
What don't you get? It's not as if I was replacing letters with numbers, dropping numerous vowels,

I said that mud is conductive. It should've been obvious that using an old power supply from a computer to power a GP2X is a bad idea. But, if you're going to use any random thing to use as a power supply, a computer PSU is as good a thing as any.

That help? I didn't realize that "ur" for "your" wasn't good enough.
You seem to be misunderstanding the fact that I was insulting your lazy typing ;) There really isn't any excuse for typing like that when using a keyboard.

nubie said:

No reason you can't use a PC supply, newer ones even have the 3.3v on the SATA power, so it is easier.
Agree, a harddisk is a decent enough load in most cases. A CD ROM not so much, as it's basically does nothing much unless instructed.

Peter R said:
quadomatic said:
What don't you get? It's not as if I was replacing letters with numbers, dropping numerous vowels,

I said that mud is conductive. It should've been obvious that using an old power supply from a computer to power a GP2X is a bad idea. But, if you're going to use any random thing to use as a power supply, a computer PSU is as good a thing as any.

That help? I didn't realize that "ur" for "your" wasn't good enough.
You seem to be misunderstanding the fact that I was insulting your lazy typing ;) There really isn't any excuse for typing like that when using a keyboard.

What if I wasn't using a keyboard :ph34r: :lol:

Yeah, I was using a keyboard, and I see your point.

This may be a good chance to ask...

On my F200, sometimes toggling the power switch doesn't turn it on, and you have to move it back and forth many times to get it to turn on. Is this a contact issue, or is it related to the power supply problems?

Also, I have 2650mah rechargeable batteries that give good life, yet whenever I start the gp2x they are always at only 2 bars to start off. Anyone else see that?

Squidge said:
nubie said:

Agree, a harddisk is a decent enough load in most cases. A CD ROM not so much, as it's basically does nothing much unless instructed.

Yeah, it is mostly the lack of a 12v draw on the CD drives, what a hard drive will provide by spinning the platters, some of the old CD drives draw quite a bit on the +5v though.

I am surprised that it blew on him, but it could have been the mud.

I am convinced the principle was sound. It sounded like a cap being shorted momentarily then whatever it was got blown away. The PSU still works, I just don't really want to use something that is going to make explosions every 5 minutes :D.

Orkie said:
I am convinced the principle was sound. It sounded like a cap being shorted momentarily then whatever it was got blown away. The PSU still works, I just don't really want to use something that is going to make explosions every 5 minutes :D.
Well then evict all the spiders living in there ;)

coldfis said:
Nice touch with the sticks of cane, Macgyver.

Orkie said:
I don't think he is much like Macgyver at all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as it works, pull it apart and clean it a little, my favorites are running water, then isopropyl alcohol to evaporate the moisture, and a paper towel or cheap toothbrush for stubborn debris. Maybe a toothpick for crusty stuff.

I then either blow it out with compressed air or I hang it on my window fan to dry.

It is quite a bit of work, but I do it when I get a PC that has been in a smokers house, or somebody who uses "air fresheners" because it upsets my lungs. I have to scrub down the whole inside of the case and PSU or it infects my entire room.

My Argos power supply is fine, but the connection between gp2x and side connector is now loose, so you have to hold it carefully otherwise it resets the machine. Not easy when you play for a long time as you have to hold it *just* right all the time.

Would this mod (using the adapter plugged directly into the battery bay) be an easy and reliable replacement for the side connector.
Also, can a complete electrical noob like me do it ? Which way round would the wires go?

I've just finished my own power supply mod so thought I'd post it in this thread rather than make a new one.

I took an old psu from a ZX spectrum:

zxpsucc4.jpg

Which outputs 9v DC at 1.2A

Built one of these:

Use the connectors from one of these (broken):

Using a multimeter I tweaked the POT to the right voltage and the end result is:

I'm pleased with the result. I can have a long gaming session now without having to wait for my batteries to charge.

EDIT: The instructions for the velleman supply jobby weren't joking when they said the IC might need a heatsink, it gets hot very quickly and the gp2x turns off (well kind of), presumably because of the instability in the voltage/current due to the voltage reg being too hot...time to find an old pc heatsink.

Back