Gp2x Usb Mount Problems

DBH

Website
nicholas.piresonline.com
Ok I know you guys have seen these threads continiously before and are sick of them but Id just like to say what I found out just a few mins ago.

I was having problems mounting my device on my windows XP SP2 machine with the provided cable. I tried all the other solutions people mentioned like USB 1.1 setup in BIOS for the ports etc but it still failed to recognise the device. I tried other USB cables like the one I have on my card reader etc and it still did the same thing.

So after resetting my USB ports back to USB2.0 I then realised I have another USB cable but this one is different. Its the type you use with an external HDD (has two USB ports on it extra port for more power if needed, but I only used one of the ports to test this). So I got thinking the external HDD requires more juice to power it so maybe this cable would be better. Well after trying it the device was detected with no problem at all!

So my real speculation here is with the provided cables that come with the GP2X they probably do not provide enough power draw from the computer to sufficiently power the SD card reader or the electronics of some sort for the device to be detected properly?. GP2X cable works fine with my card reader, but doesn't work with GP2X. Card reader cable doesnt work with GP2X, but USB 2 HDD cable works perfectly with GP2X.

Is it just another case of what was stated on the wiki.. the quality of the cable supplied or you reckon GPH should ship the device with better cables ala kind used to power USB 2 HDDs?

So I dunno if there are any of you out there who are still having these problems.. see if a USB cable used for HDDs works.

EDIT: Ok just tried mounting the GP2X with another USB A to B cable I got from another external HDD and it mounted properly with no problems. But still USB A to B cables from small dinky devices like a card reader etc do not work with the GP2X. So im guessing power draw is an issue with that port.

I had a similar problem. Tried a few different usb cables and always got the same result - it would never work with the laptop on battery, sometimes work with the laptop on mains, but always work if I also connected a serial cable.

DBH posted on Jul 19 2006 at 05:27 AM said:
EDIT: Ok just tried mounting the GP2X with another USB A to B cable I got from another external HDD and it mounted properly with no problems. But still USB A to B cables from small dinky devices like a card reader etc do not work with the GP2X. So im guessing power draw is an issue with that port.
My USB card reader cords are in fact very beefy, and I haven't tried since 2 models ago to connect the GP2X to the PC.

woogal posted on Jul 19 2006 at 06:03 AM said:
I had a similar problem. Tried a few different usb cables and always got the same result - it would never work with the laptop on battery, sometimes work with the laptop on mains, but always work if I also connected a serial cable.
As woogal notes the possibilty exists of a bad ground, I do believe that the GP2X is powering the entire process, not the PC (correct me if I am wrong, I suppose you would just need an Ammeter on the 5 volt line)

And this information was available as of last November/December, but many now purchasing the GP2X are unlikely to know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the GP2X MK2 with the 2.0.0 filmware and I have not had any problem with any of my computers recognizing the link. I have an old 600 thinkpad running windows xp sp1 with usb 1.1. No problem with it picking up and file transfer. My desktop is running SuSE 10.0 and has a usb 2.0. No problem there. I have yet to try it on my other laptop which is running Libranet 2.8. After using a cardreader I really haven't done much more experimenting. Could it be that their link cables are not all manufactured by the same company? This could account for some having problems and some not. All of the times that I used my link it was dependent on the GP2X batteries, haven't purchased an ac adapter yet.

edit: typos

Back