Gp2x11

Alvin

A while back Orkie ported X11 (XFree86 4.3) to the GP2X, but I've only seen one project come out of it and almost nobody speak of it. Orkie uploaded some of his already-compiled binaries that work on his X server - I tried them over telnet and most of them (with the exception of xdm, xcalc and xedit) worked with no flaws, although I couldn't get any input in.

I think it has huge potential to make much more out of the GP2X and truly show off the advantage of it using Linux. I'll most likely compile some things for the X server, although my computer is made of "holy crap, I'm not going to work".

Anyway, I'd love to see some windowmanagers other than twm appearing for the GP2X - Qtopia and GPE are great and all, but they're rather slow and I'm sure there are some possible alternatives that'd work fantastic (twm is good, but it's menu scrolls off the screen :().

Soooooooo... gogogogogogogo?

Orkie's project site is http://x11.gp2x.de/ if I recall.

I think that most people is afraid to try that because of the (supposed) sluggish performance it would have (myself included on these)

someday perhaps people will have usb keyb/mouse attached, then X11 will be the best choice of usage, as text terminal in 320x240 is quite small

so this x server runs a window manager and programs natively on the gp2x? thats pretty cool. when you are using x11, is there a way for the tv-out to have a higher resolution than 320x240? this looks like it will have a lot more potential when the bob is released. i would love to see dillo running on this!

thejoeandchip posted on Dec 11 2006 at 07:37 PM said:
so this x server runs a window manager and programs natively on the gp2x? thats pretty cool. when you are using x11, is there a way for the tv-out to have a higher resolution than 320x240? this looks like it will have a lot more potential when the bob is released. i would love to see dillo running on this!
According to the readme, it only does TV-out at 320x240 at the moment (0.3). Also, Dillo comes with GPE which uses this, although GPE is really slow.

The X server itself runs very fast, it's things like GPE that are intensive to the limited resources the GP2X has to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid me but would it be possible to, say having the Debian ARM version on my USB HD, a BoB with keyboard and mouse hooked up to have a fully fletched Linux on the GP2X with a X server running?! This would be really great (and yes, I see some changes have to be made to Debian to run on the GP2X but Gnu2x also started as Debian files AFAIK...)

I've been using GPE with a USB Mouse on a GP2X with built in USB Host Port. It's quite cool thing. Most of the people get impressed as soon as they see something like that.

Back