Gp2xpaint V.1.0.9

Neurox

Still Fresh
Hello,
Yesterday i am releasing a new version of GP2XPaint:
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,4,2322

GP2XPaint Homepage: http://www.borzini.it

GP2XPaint is a drawing program for the GP2X.
I have tried to optimize the most possible use of
the keys in order to satisfy the lack of the mouse.
The format of the image is BMP and dimension
is 320x240 pixel.
[cut]
GP2XPaint have many tools :
circle/oval filled or outline
square/box filled or outline
line
free hand drawing
fill tool
color picker
text tool
eraser
and others...

A good drawing,
Neurox[/cut]

I saw the interesting screenshots of the GUI on your website so I thought I'd take a look.

Although well made with a nice GUI, there are some issues that are a little annoying :-

* The very slow speed of the cursor
* The delay when choosing something either in the menu or from the virtual keyboard which makes the interface feel sluggish

The readme is not a platform independent txt file and initially I couldn't read it. It starts with FF FE so I think it's UTF-16.

The readme is important because it explains that the gp2xpaint folder needs to be in /mnt/sd. Why exactly does it need to be in the root?

I use a similar program on my Zaurus for doodling designs but it's got a stylus which makes it a more productive experience.

I think if you implemented [configurable] cursor acceleration then gp2xpaint would be much more useful.

Regards.

I drew a cow !

COW.jpg

Thunor said:
I
The readme is important because it explains that the gp2xpaint folder needs to be in /mnt/sd. Why exactly does it need to be in the root?

Regards.

I wa just about to complain about this! :lol: Thanks for letting me know why theres a problem..

Last edited by a moderator:
A Paint program for GP2X? Sounds like its made for me! :)
I will test it.
I hope, the program will support .png format in various sizes, so we can save SD space and can use the graphics for Icons etc. ^^

So, tested, suggestions:

-variable Paint-cursor Speed / faster cursor in palette window
-Zoom! (vol+- maybe? )
-optional grid for exact pixeling in high zoom levels
-variable size of the Picture, maybe pre defined sizes like 16x16, 32x32 up to 320x240. :)

The program crashed afte filling a small space more times, maybe I pushed to often B and A I don't know. Is filling possible with A (2. colour) or only with one colour with B ?

starpause said:
jarska333, yeah this will be sick if it's updated to make use of the f200's touch screen =)

thanks Neurox
I'd rather say that it would be sick to *not* update it to make use of the F200 touchscreen :lol:

Neurox said:
GP2XPaint is a drawing program for the GP2X.
shouldn't it be called gp2xdraw then? B)

cool stuff. reminds me of the bad old days of making pcx-format drawings (mine were of sharks too, probably not as good though).

First of all,
thanks to all for the compliments critic and suggestions.
In my analisys of implementation of GP2XPaint the zoom is last.

This is a list of my priority for now:
1) increment speed of cursor.
2) a user modificable keyboard speed.
3) size and styles font.
4) resizeable dot of freehand drawing.
5) .... many others :D

Bye,
Neurox

Mr.Jabberwocky said:
.... now I have drawn a shark !
Compliments for your images!
I've an idea:
in my web page, I'll make an "Art Gallery with GP2XPaint" .
I can insert your images ?

Thanks,
Neurox

I love this - I am looking forward to developments. Great idea to have a gallery.

Neurox said:

Thanks,
Neurox
Only if you include my latest masterpiece. I am really proud of this one. It's a bunny !
bunny.jpg

Great stuff if the zoom is implemented. I was thinking about using this to draw NES graphics on the go (check out http://neotoxin.moccamagic.com) but without the zoom, it's pretty impossible. If you'd add the zoom feature along with the pixel grid, this could be great for pixel artists. For inspiration, you could check our editors like Tile Molester or Tile Layer Pro.

I hope you get around to adding those features soon!

Mr.Jabberwocky said:
I love this - I am looking forward to developments. Great idea to have a gallery.

Neurox said:

Thanks,
Neurox
Only if you include my latest masterpiece. I am really proud of this one. It's a bunny !
bunny.jpg

Cute. I couldn't draw this yet with the program, the cursor is just to slow for me. Somehow I can do better pixel for pixel drawing by the way but this would require an zoom mode. ^^

fusion_power said:
Cute. I couldn't draw this yet with the program, the cursor is just to slow for me. Somehow I can do better pixel for pixel drawing by the way but this would require an zoom mode. ^^
Zoom mode will be cool - also a way to pick a colour from the image you are working on :unsure: ?

And now for a man with a fairy :

fairy.jpg

Cool pics, guys! :D

It would be awesome if a GP2X graphics scene develops like the C64 graphics scene (which I'm starting to get into again).

Of course, we'd have to only do graphics using actual GP2X hardware... no "wired" images created on the PC and transferred to the 2X. I find that showing workstages is a pretty good way to ensure that.

Back