GPScumm

Gm4n

Still Fresh
GPSCUMM
Can someone confirm whether any of the games with speach actually work. I have a few but they all seem to be over 128Mb. Craig mentions on his review of the GP32
yes, it includes the speech sound support (how could you play day of the tentacle without it :)!
but I cannot see how this can be. Can someone tell me if I'm just being stupid or can you play these games with speech, and if so which ones. Cheers :)

Hmmmm... I can't say for certain, but I recall somebody saying that the new version of SCUMM includes support for playing back MP3's...

But I don't know if ph0x will be able to add support for that.. his GP32 is busted. :/

I've been looking into this at length, none of the speech files for SCUMM games will fit on the 128MB card... the floppy release of DOTT has speech in the opening credits and intro but that's about as good as you'll get until gpSCUMM gets the MP3/OGG functions of SCUMMvm... or we get a 256MB smartmedia card...

I have Sam& Max and Day of Tentacle with talkies. And actually as i know Lucas art has limited talkies in Dott to the scene when guys come to Mansion. Sam and max also has talkies only in intro scene. I think i have typical releases of the games, i mean they are not a cd versions. Maybe in cd versions there are talkies in the whole S&M and DOTT. But if you have version of those games and they work and have talkies when launching them on PC, you are on the best way to get talkies in GPScumm.
Lets take for example Day of Tentacle:
1. Copy all needed resource files (needed to play game): Tentacle.001 and Tentacle.002. Actually those two are enough to play game but now we add digital sounds and talkies.
2. Copy Monster.sou into the same location where those two Tentacle files reside.
And thats all :) Now when you add you game from Scumm GUI and launch it, you can enyoy 'talkie' version.

The same way actually apply to Sam and Max and probably other games. I dont know because never tried other.
When we get mp3 support, all those big monter.sou files (actually those are big audio files) will be converted to mp3, and thanks to it we will enjoy those CD full game speeches editions.

Hando,

not quite sound related, but have you managed to get past the splat-the-rat game in sam & max? always seems to hang on that stage for me?

_Belial: Nah it hangs for me to :( Its a bug in the actual windows version of Scummvm, but in the windows version if you leave it for 2mins it does eventually exit the wak-a-rat game. But for some reason it doesn't in the GPscummvm....maby because its based on an older source of scummvm i dunno?

Cheers

TFC

tfc posted on Mar 4 2003 said:
_Belial: Nah it hangs for me to :( Its a bug in the actual windows version of Scummvm, but in the windows version if you leave it for 2mins it does eventually exit the wak-a-rat game. But for some reason it doesn't in the GPscummvm....maby because its based on an older source of scummvm i dunno?

Cheers

TFC
Damn! I was just about to stick it on my card and give it a whirl too! Thanks for saying that, I'd have been so frustrated if it hung there! I think I'll do Monkey Island 1 and 2 first!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maby once it gets properly fixed in the windows version, the author of GpScummvm will use the new source code.

Cheers

TFC

Well I have a 98meg version of the dig on my hard drive - haven't tried it yet - but if people want it

try typing "abandonware upload" - at www.google.co.uk - click on the first site --..enough said-much Lucasarts games to be had here

Hi,
I have the talkie version of Loom - but it won't work, because the voice (and music) is not a file, but a large audio track on the CD :-/

Back