Guide: Changing The Desktop Icon Text To White

XFCE irks me sometimes because the icons have black text on a white background, and sometimes I prefer it the other way around. Sadly, this kind of thing is left for themes to decide and users can't change it.

This config file over-rides that part of whatever theme you're using.

Creating it Manually

Make a text document (for example in Mousepad) and paste this into it

Code:
style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 75

base[NORMAL] = "#000000"
    base[SELECTED] = "#eeeeee"
    base[ACTIVE] = "#000000"

fg[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
    fg[SELECTED] = "#ffffff"
    fg[ACTIVE] = "#ffffff"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

Save this file into your home directory (for example, if you're called Bob it will be /home/bob or something). and call it .gtkrc-2.0 <- be sure to put the full stop first, as this tells Linux the file is hidden (all the config files in your home directory are hidden by default).

To see your changes, go into the settings and load another theme in 'Appearances' and then back to your original theme. I'm sure there's a command to refresh the theme, but I honestly don't know it.

You can edit this file, then reload the theme to see changes. All the colours are in hex format, which will be familiar to web coders. Make it as ugly as you like! Pink and yellow? Sure, knock yourself out!

This is cool, thanks. I have red with a normal background now

Bump! Just a variation on the method, if you prefer your icon text with a transparent background.

Code:
style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0

#Text colors you can delete these if you want you use gtk theme colors
fg[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"

}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

Before (with terminal in the way):

Wsn4j.png

After:

FGoJV.png

Lovely. It's not shown in those shots, but a highlighted icon will have black text on a white background. That makes it much easier to see what's selected.

fusion_power said:
both looks nice. Can I also set the Icon font BOLD and bigger? My eyes are not the best. ^^"""

Right click on the desktop and there's a settings entry (I don't have a working Pandora or XFCE to hand sorry).

Go to the icons tab anyway. You'll want to make the icons bigger or the text will be cut off etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
I find your lack of semi-transparent terminal disturbing.
I should have included the other half of the screen in that second shot! It's now semi-transparent and without borders. ;) I went on a sexy spree.

Gruso said:
SomeGuy99 said:
I find your lack of semi-transparent terminal disturbing.
I should have included the other half of the screen in that second shot! It's now semi-transparent and without borders. ;) I went on a sexy spree.

Yes... strike me down with all your sexiness.

Back