Has Anybody Gotten Free Heroes 2 To Work?

Azure

Trust the recursion...
I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting Free Heroes 2 to work. Could it be because I am using Heroes 2 Gold? Whenever I try to run it I get a message telling me:

You have not yet installed the datafile. Please check the setup guide for more information.

However, I moved the data & maps directories from my computer to my Pandora (to the fheroes2.pickle folder in appdata) after I installed Heroes 2 on my PC. In data I have the following files in:

campaign.hs
heroes2.agg
heroes2x.agg
ivydes.smk
ivypol.smk
ivyvoy.smk
ivywiz.smk
netlodr.dat
standard.hs

And I have a gazillion files in the maps directory.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: Tried it with regular ol' Succession Wars and it still doesn't work :(

I got it working last night by copying the files from a free trial version of the game I found in a google search. My data folder has all the same files as yours. The only problem I ran into was the touch screen didn't seem to be calibrated correctly in-game. I played it for a couple hours with the nubs though which worked alright.
All i can suggest is maybe redownload the PND. I hope you can get it working because it's a great game and works really well on the Pandora.

kidrdbz said:
I got it working last night by copying the files from a free trial version of the game I found in a google search. My data folder has all the same files as yours. The only problem I ran into was the touch screen didn't seem to be calibrated correctly in-game. I played it for a couple hours with the nubs though which worked alright.
All i can suggest is maybe redownload the PND. I hope you can get it working because it's a great game and works really well on the Pandora.
Thanks for the tip; it worked by just re-downloading the PND (OMG...handheld Heroes 2...this is surreal)! Weird...

Anyhow, yeah, the touch screen also for me doesn't seem to be calibrated properly for me. I guess I could use the nubs, but I can't get them calibrated properly so they work like utter shit (some directions are easier to go than others, maybe a slight bias to certain directions, etc.). Not sure what I'm doing wrong...Craig said something about pressing the nub in each direction every time you boot up? That didn't really work for me (didn't seem to do much)...

EDIT: Grr...also got no music...I didn't see any ogg files in my heroes 2 directories on my PC??

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news! I just got the touch screen to work right! All I did was move the left nub at the main menu before touching the screen with the stylus and it works now. :) It is much easier to play this way.

I guess I could use the nubs, but I can't get them calibrated properly so they work like utter shit (some directions are easier to go than others, maybe a slight bias to certain directions, etc.). Not sure what I'm doing wrong...Craig said something about pressing the nub in each direction every time you boot up? That didn't really work for me (didn't seem to do much)...
I was also having a little trouble with nub/mouse movement and after I read Craigix's comment about it I rebooted my pandora and moved the nubs around while it loaded. When it finished loading I couldn't move the mouse left at all. I rebooted and didn't touch them and they are working as they were again(slow in some directions, sometimes).

EDIT: Grr...also got no music...I didn't see any ogg files in my heroes 2 directories on my PC??
I might be wrong but I don't think ogg was created yet when HoMM2 was made, so my guess is the files mentioned in the documentation are specific to fheroes2. I got some files from searching google, but i'm not sure if I have them in the right place. I made a music folder next to the data and maps folders and put the oggs in there.

EDIT: I broke it again by moving the left nub mid game...

You can switch the nubs to Joystick mode in the settings menu before you play the game.
Then they shouldn't interfere anymore. :)

Just weighing in here on the game. It's awesome - once you get it to work. Which for me has been only yesterday having tried a number of times since getting my Pandora. Here's how (and what's not mentioned in the readme).

1) Ensure the .pnd you've got isn't corrupted. If you don't get either the game screen, or a message telling you the data files aren't there yet, re-download it.

2) The game in its default state will not save. However, it's perfectly capable of so doing. A brief google finds that some users of the Maemo port have got it to save by creating the directory .\files\save in appdata. This works on Pandora too.

3) Sound works out of the box. Music doesn't. The readme mentions .ogg files, but I for one have no idea where these are supposed to come from - any hints? Or is this supposed to be a way to play your own music with the game rather than using the official soundtrack...?

Anyway, awesome game. Hopefully the above will help some others get it running a little easier than I found it!

Back