Headphone Jack, Spdif, 3.5, 2.5 Or None?

AidenA-Webb

Still Fresh
Just a quick question before i buy the gpx2, i have seen no evidence of an onboard headphone jack or of the socket it may have. I'm just wonderinging whether it has a headphone jack (on the system, not the docking station, which i believe to be an RCA audio connection), and whether the headphone jack is a standard 3.5 jack (as most mp3 players) mini jack (2.5 jack) or whether the jack is a digital out in the form of SPDIF?

Thanks for the help,
Aiden

It has a standard (3.5mm) headphone jack on the top, on the right of the SD card slot. I think the output is only analog. Also, headphone jacks that have very thick bodies might not fit due to the surrounding plastic.

Ok, thank you. Really my primary use for the gp2x is as an mp3/mp4 player. Its a choice between this, with a 16GB flash card, or an *GB iRiver Clix. Whats the audio fidelity through the jack like on this? I can't decide whether the ability to throw in a couple of AA batteries when it runs out of power and the additional functionality is worth the risk that the flash card i get might not work, as i here that the system offers limited support for SDHC cards

I personally wouldn't really recommend getting a GP2X just for playing mp3/mp4. I can't comment on audio fidelity, as I am not good at distinguishing audio quality. I don't think it even plays mp4 out of the box. The battery life isn't that great as well, not to mention standard alkaline batteries drain too fast. The size also is a bit bulky. For that purpose alone, there are better PMP devices out there.

For a mostly Mp3 player device, I wouldn't suggest the gp2x. It will drain the batteries too quickly, and is really a little too bulky for having in your pocket.

Back