GP2X Hello Everybody!!!

Dimension

Still Fresh
Hi everyone! just got confirmation that my gp2x has been shipped and I am ready to get coding. Just to introduce myself ive been programming for about 6 years now and have experience in c++, visual basic, and darkbasic as my main languages. Ive been into game programming specifically for 5 years and have created numerous games(never completely finished though :D ,lol) But believe I have something to offer to the community. SO I have a few questions so I can get started so here it goes:

1.) I am aware that the gp2x has 2 cpu's but programming for the second one is supposedly hard from what I hear. Anyone who can explain why would be great B) .

2.) I here that there are different types of sdk's which one do you recomend?

3.) was the software renderer in pay back written from scratch?

Well thats all I got for now. Not thinking to clearly right now,lol. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! just got confirmation that my gp2x has been shipped and I am ready to get coding. Just to introduce myself ive been programming for about 6 years now and have experience in c++, visual basic, and darkbasic as my main languages. Ive been into game programming specifically for 5 years and have created numerous games(never completely finished though :D ,lol) But believe I have something to offer to the community. SO I have a few questions so I can get started so here it goes:

1.) I am aware that the gp2x has 2 cpu's but programming for the second one is supposedly hard from what I hear. Anyone who can explain why would be great B) .

Well thats all I got for now. Not thinking to clearly right now,lol. Thanks in advance!

1.) For computational tasks where you could cleanly interface with a 2nd thread, it's not incredibly difficult to use the 2nd processor, but there's two limitations: The code and data used by it should reside in the upper 32MB of memory that's not managed by linux (but can still be accessed within a program running on the 920), and you can't use any linux system calls on the 940 (coprocessor). Otherwise, you basically run a single thread of code on the 940 (you can get more elaborate with interrupts if you wish), which can access hardware, the framebuffer, and even output sound with a little work, so it makes for a good way to split off peripheral tasks.

Last edited by a moderator:

1) See Dzz's article serie, that should still be pinned in this forum (or another), for some some explanations on how the 940 is useable from the 920 (read all the serie, because it's a good quickstarter guide)

3) I suppose they used the same renderer they used for other games on other ARM platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I have another question also. Is there any decent openGL implementation thats usable or close to usable. As I want to port blender3d over to the gp2x just as blender pocket has done for pocket pc. Thanks again for all your help thus far!

Back