Help Installing (x)ubuntu On Toshiba Portege M200

aaron11193

Hey Telstra, I Hate You.
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey all,

I've been trying to install (X)ubuntu onto my laptop for hours.
I've been following the instructions on Here (The CD Approach).

When I try to boot into grub i get the error:

CODE
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I have checked and the file is DEFINATELY there. I even renamed it to hal.dll from HAL.DLL.

Still no results after hours of searching and research.

Any help appreciated :)

Aaron.

aaron11193 said:
Hey all,

I've been trying to install (X)ubuntu onto my laptop for hours.
I've been following the instructions on Here (The CD Approach).

When I try to boot into grub i get the error:

CODE
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I have checked and the file is DEFINATELY there. I even renamed it to hal.dll from HAL.DLL.

Still no results after hours of searching and research.

Any help appreciated :)

Aaron.

are you trying to dual boot or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi dude, hope you're still not struggling with this, but if you are this may be the solution.

Problem I think is with the boot.ini file on the windows partition. My boot.ini contains the following:

[boot loader]
;timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The problem is with the line containing partition(2), this value is wrong. Mine is set to (2), which corresponds to /dev/hda2 in linux terms. Change this value to whatever /dev/hdX is, i.e. (1) for hda, (2) for hdb, (3) for hdc and so on.

HTH.

I don't know which version of (X)Ubuntu you're using, but if you want to install it on top of your existing Windows installation without loosing that, you should try Wubi. The newer (X)Ubuntu versions might already have Wubi integrated. At least, the last Kubuntu does.

For problems with Grub, you should give Supergrub a shot. It's marvellous!

Hey guys thanks for the replies :)

Yes I'm trying to dualboot, as of now it's working successfully :)

I used grub4dos to load the linux install disc files from my hard disk then read the packages from an external drive, took alot of trial and error :rolleyes:

All is working well except my nVidia drivers. I first chose to use the propitiatory one but it made everything look like it was in 1024x768 mode :blink: even though it was set to 1440x1050.

Right now I'm using the vesa driver because it gives good resolution, but I cant get compiz to start because it's not a whitelisted driver :blink:

I'm downloading a driver off of nVidia's site right now, might work... hopefully...

If anyone has set up (X)ubuntu on one of thse machines before, a step-by-step would be much appreciated.

BTW it's xubuntu 8.04.

Back