Help With Script For Booting Into Mame W/tv-out

T

TelcoLou

Hi there nice people :)

Using this program, I was able to boot directly into TV-Out mode ...

I found this topic, and made the following script:

CODE

#!/bin/sh
./tvon.gpe -tvmode 3

cd /mnt/sd
exec ./mame_gp2x.gpe

... it activates TV-Out just fine, but instead of booting into MAME, it leaves me at the GP2X's main menu screen. If I leave out the line "./tvon.gpe -tvmode 3", it boots into MAME.

What am I doing wrong here? :p I laugh at my inability to grasp the concept of these script thingies ... so feel free to join in .. but some help would be greatly appreciated (wait 'till you see the idea for the 'cab :lol:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't work. I had to hard code it to run the menu otherwise the tv wouldn't stay enabled. You can try http://gp2x.sector808.org/tvon-any and run it with 'tvon-any -path /mnt/sd/the/path/ -app appname.gpe -tvmode 3'. If you're lucky it will work, otherwise it either won't work at all (I haven't tested it yet - evildragon may have tried it though) or it will only display part of the screen (but you might be able to fix that by combining with the tv fixer).

woogal said:
Won't work. I had to hard code it to run the menu otherwise the tv wouldn't stay enabled. You can try http://gp2x.sector808.org/tvon-any and run it with 'tvon-any -path /mnt/sd/the/path/ -app appname.gpe -tvmode 3'. If you're lucky it will work, otherwise it either won't work at all (I haven't tested it yet - evildragon may have tried it though) or it will only display part of the screen (but you might be able to fix that by combining with the tv fixer).

Thanks ..

Just to be sure I got it; I have my MAME executable on the root of my SD card, so would my new autorun.gpu script look like this?

CODE
#!/bin/sh
tvon-any -path /mnt/sd/ -app mame_gp2x.gpe -tvmode 3

booting into tv out is really nice. the only drag is, if your display is a bit off centre, you still have to adjust it.

is there a way to code the tv out boot so you can have the screen position correction already set? i mean, i know everyone's tv is different, but your own personal adjusts for your own.

just wondering.

clean_sandwich said:
booting into tv out is really nice. the only drag is, if your display is a bit off centre, you still have to adjust it.

is there a way to code the tv out boot so you can have the screen position correction already set? i mean, i know everyone's tv is different, but your own personal adjusts for your own.

just wondering.
Erm ... how can you adjust the screen position? I tried it in the GP2X TV out screen, but nothing happens :blink:

Well, this almost worked :) It indeed booted into TV mode, but MAME's menu displayed only 1/2 the screen, and USB wasn't detected.

After exiting MAME, the '2X's menu was displayed normally, and the USb lights came on.

I'll try again later tonight with the TV-Out fix app ...

TelcoLou said:
Well, this almost worked :) It indeed booted into TV mode, but MAME's menu displayed only 1/2 the screen, and USB wasn't detected.

After exiting MAME, the '2X's menu was displayed normally, and the USb lights came on.

I'll try again later tonight with the TV-Out fix app ...
Yep, sounds right. gp2xmenu does something after tv has been enabled that most other apps don't do, and I've no idea what that is because gp2xmenu is closed source. And because of the weird and wonderful way GPH coded the firmware, stuff like usb and networking is started by gp2xmenu instead of any normal method. I think you'll have to wait for the open2x firmware before you'll have any real chance of getting things working right.

clean_sandwich: Yes, it would be easy to add code to set the position at boot.

Back