Help

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
Hey everyone maybe someone knows better than me on this, but check this out I wanna buy a 3.5-inch IDE HDD External Enclosure that plays Divx wich supports IDE up to 500GB . Now my PC is old , im talking 600Mhz , 256MB Ram wich no way the mobo is gonna recognize a 500GB HDD, updating the bios is useless since its no longer updated. So anyone got a recommend app that can format the 500GB via USB on the external?

Great thanks if this can be answered.

Link to the enclosure im gonna buy HDD Enclosure

If you connect via USB chances that on a mobo that old you can't get access to it via the bios anyway. It probably wont check for USB storage, only internal IDE. Windows will handle detecting the drive and I can tell you that I have a 600mhz machine with a 120GB drive, it know its no where near as big but I don't think you'll have a problem detecting the drive assuming its XP. You will need to format to NTFS as I dont think FAT32 goes anywhere near that high in drive size.

Yup, stuff like EasyIDE supports large drives regardless of bios. It helps if your motherboard supports USB2.0 however, or it's going to be painful using the drive. (Again, you can use a PCI USB card to get USB2 if you don't have it).

sam fisher said:
If you connect via USB chances that on a mobo that old you can't get access to it via the bios anyway. It probably wont check for USB storage, only internal IDE. Windows will handle detecting the drive and I can tell you that I have a 600mhz machine with a 120GB drive, it know its no where near as big but I don't think you'll have a problem detecting the drive assuming its XP. You will need to format to NTFS as I dont think FAT32 goes anywhere near that high in drive size.
Fat32 partions can be up to 2TB big, but you're probably better off with something else, due to the 4GB file size llimit.

Last edited by a moderator:
i cant help you but thanks for the website i have never came across them before and they have loads of cheap stuff so thanks :)

There's always NTFS, which doesn't have the 4GB size limit, and does have security descriptors. But it's also more malware/virus friendly compared to fat32.

is there an app or somewhere in my bios that tells me the supposrted size of an HDD? might as well save me a few bucks and a few head-aches

Cervante said:
is there an app or somewhere in my bios that tells me the supposrted size of an HDD? might as well save me a few bucks and a few head-aches
We've already told you, FAT32 and NTFS will both allow a 500GB drive. As long as you aren't running windows 98 or below, you should be fine. Windows will be handling the drive access, being that it will be external, not the motherboard bios.

sam fisher said:
Cervante said:
We've already told you, FAT32 and NTFS will both allow a 500GB drive. As long as you aren't running windows 98 or below, you should be fine. Windows will be handling the drive access, being that it will be external, not the motherboard bios.

o ok thanks dude

Back