Heretic, Rott, And Prboom Misc Problems

vonmetternich

Still Fresh
I recently got my GP2X wiz, but I purchased an F-200 way back at the end of '07, so I have a little experience. I've experienced a number of unrelated problems with these first two games in particular, but the same problem with pretty much every PC game port(Duke3D, Wolf3D, Hexen, Heretic, Doom)

Heretic - I have not been able to find a way to switch weapons, in the PC version you just use the numbers 1 through 6 to switch weapons, but that is obviously unavailable, and in the customize controls option there does not seem to be a "Switch Weapon" function, this seems to be more of a problem with the actual game itself than the port, is there any workaround for this?

Rise of the Triad - For pretty much all the FPS games, I try to configure the left and right shoulder buttons to strafe left and right respectively, but I have run into a weird problem with the rise of the Triad Port, I cannot seem to map any function at all to the right trigger button, it's like the game just won't recognize it. I suspect it has something to do with an overlap, because I noticed that the left shoulder button is assigned shift. I suspect that it's possible that the port assigned the left trigger to left shift and the right trigger to right shift, but the game seems unable to see the difference.

And finally, I've had this problem with all the PC ports. If I put the game folders anywhere on my SD card, the games just will not run; it simply kicks me back to the main menu of the Wiz, but when I put the folders in the root of the NAND memory, they work fine. No readmes or anyone I have seen mentioned this, and I only managed to figure out this on accident.

Thanks in advance, and Kudos to whoever made the ports; they're awesome!

to change weapon in heretic you have to press Y + L or R. About ROTT, no one can bind the right shoulder, it's probably a bug. And about the last question, I don't really know, every port works fine for me...

Hope this helps.

Thanks, im the one who has ported these.
You got the correct answer to the heretic weapon change, same key combo for hexen too.
Ive not heard the rott shoulder, i dont recall either if I made it so buttons could be remapped. Ill keep it in mind and see if theres a bug.
There really shouldnt be any difference between nand or sd card. Are you sure your card is good?

The ROTT problem has been brought up before on the Heretic/Hexen/Hexen 2 thread. (We went a bit off topic!)

Neil L said:
Chum said:
In ROTT, is there a way to map strafe right to the right shoulder button. I can map left from in the game, but not right.

Oh yeah, I've never noticed that before.
You don't get any response from it in the keyboard settings screen, could this be fixed?
Cheers, Neil

Also you can't map L or R in Wolfenstein either, as the inputs come up as left & right. (The same as the Dpad's left & right)
Could this one be fixed? (Split black bars on the menu screens would also look better)

On the subject of the Heretic weapon change buttons could this be done? (This would be good on all your FPS ports)

Neil L said:
I was also thinking, could a shift button/s be added? (To help with the lack of buttons)

e.g.
'Dpad up' coded to emulate button press 'a' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'walk forward'
'L + Dpad up' coded to emulate button press 'b' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'look up'
'R + Dpad up' coded to emulate button press 'c' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'weapon up'
'Dpad right' coded to emulate button press 'd' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'turn right'
etc.

Cheers, Neil :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Thanks, im the one who has ported these.
You got the correct answer to the heretic weapon change, same key combo for hexen too.
Ive not heard the rott shoulder, i dont recall either if I made it so buttons could be remapped. Ill keep it in mind and see if theres a bug.
There really shouldnt be any difference between nand or sd card. Are you sure your card is good?

Nice work! I have indeed been able to switch weapons in those games now. I knew that on the GP2X-F200 that a single key could be mapped to the simultaneous pressing of two buttons, but I didn't assume that was done in this case.

It had never crossed my mind that the SD card might have gone bad, but I suspect that is the case. I just noticed that I am unable to make saves from the emulators that are on the SD card, I'll try a new card and see if that does anything.

Now all we need is a port of Shadow Warrior, and the pantheon of the old school open source shooters will be complete!

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally don't like double posting, but I have some new information to add.

I did get a new SD card and the games are finally launching the way they should be. However, I did notice another strange problem with prboom. If I launch the game from my SD card, save, quit, and then turn the game back on and try to load the save, the game crashes. After that, if I try relaunching the game without restarting the Wiz, it will crash. I do not seem to have this problem if the game is on the NAND. The SD card is brand new and seems to be working fine, so I suspect the problem may be something else.

Back