How do you configure DosBox on the Pandora or any open handheld for that matter?

mmielke

I want to know which DosBox version you have to download in order to run a Dos game on the Pandora and the GP2X Caanoo. Also, how do you get the games to run on a Pandora and specifically, a GP2X Caanoo?

I can't install DosBox on this Windows machines, as I don't have administrator access. Which version would run on a Caanoo and will be able to download in one directory, rather than having to install it?

How would games be configured as well?

I would appreciate any help that i'll receive.

I want to know which DosBox version you have to download in order to run a Dos game on the Pandora and the GP2X Caanoo.

I can't speak for the other consoles but DOSBOX on the Pandora is a snap. Download from the openpandora file archive. Run DOSBoxfe, a very nice gui frontend. The default location to place the games will be /pandora/appdata/dosbox/games/ on your SD card, so drop you DOS games there. Enjoy.

Dosbox on the GP2X tends to be trickier due to the lack of a keyboard, you need to create (or find in the archive) key mapping files and launchers for specific programs.

I'm not sure if it's the same on the Caanoo.

I can't speak for the other consoles but DOSBOX on the Pandora is a snap. Download from the openpandora file archive. Run DOSBoxfe, a very nice gui frontend. The default location to place the games will be /pandora/appdata/dosbox/games/ on your SD card, so drop you DOS games there. Enjoy.

Dosbox on the GP2X tends to be trickier due to the lack of a keyboard, you need to create (or find in the archive) key mapping files and launchers for specific programs.

I'm not sure if it's the same on the Caanoo.

Do you think that the Wiz version would work? They have practically the same specifications, except the Caanoo has a bit more ram.

Do you think that the Wiz version would work? They have practically the same specifications, except the Caanoo has a bit more ram.
By the looks of the entry on the Wiz wiki. Looks like ti works like the GP2X. I suppose the Caanoo is the same. You would have better luck on the other forums finding better answers I'm sure.

Edit: Nevermind... the almighty Pickle is here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
By the looks of the entry on the Wiz wiki. Looks like ti works like the GP2X. I suppose the Caanoo is the same. You would have better luck on the other forums finding better answers I'm sure.

Edit: Nevermind... the almighty Pickle is here. :)

How would you create separate configuration files, mapper files, etc? I tried to copy the default code via blank text documents, but I can't seem to open certain files to edit them. I'm using the wiki for the GP2X Dos Box which says that I need separate copies of the 3 main files for each game.

I've just tried running it and it doesn't seem to let my type a colon :

Any ideas ?

I've just tried running it and it doesn't seem to let my type a colon :

Any ideas ?
From this thread on the other forum;

Clean3d said:
Hey, I know I'm reviving an old topic, but I figured out the colon problem. You have to press shift (left shoulder button) + Fn + ";"

I figured this out by looking at the keyboard remapper. The underscore wasn't working either, so I was messing about trying to figure it out, and I noticed that both ":" and "_" are keys accessed through shift. On a normal US keyboard, the underscore is created through shift+-, and the colon through shift+;. I guessed that dosbox expected this to still be the case, so I tried it. It worked.

I suppose Dosbox just doesn't like these characters being created through Fn? Hope this helps someone, and I apologize if this has been answered before and I'm just being dense. ;)

Tested Blood which ran sickeningly slow :-(, also tried Shadow Warrior which didn't seem to render any of the sprites.

Tested Blood which ran sickeningly slow :-(, also tried Shadow Warrior which didn't seem to render any of the sprites.

Blood and Shadow Warrior were expected to be poor on speed. Not sure if Qemu would be any faster.

Back