How Far Could Gigas Be Pushed, I Wonder

Tobriand

Website
Visit site
I was thinking about the Gigas engine a while back, and I wondered just how far it would be possible to push it... like, if you used a completely different tileset, and stuck a set of wall tiles (not necessarily obvious) above the player, could you make a platform game or Castlevania style thing? Like AGS has been used for shooters or similar...

Could make an interesting experiment, though I doubt the resulting game would be all that fun.

Similarly, if you were careful about what needed to be done - i.e. only had one action per item - I wonder if it would be possible to make a SCUMM style adventure game on a "bring item a to item b to defeat puzzle c and get item d" type of system.

It certainly isn't what it was designed for, but just wondering - how far would it go?

surely a scumm style game would be easy coz u fill the screen with images of text, make the charcterset a pointer and use hotspots to make things happen

it would be difficult to do anything of the sort right now in the state it is in right now.

Hmm... interesting. I was thinking more make the character a large sprite controlled in RPG-ish normal movement, and just one action - i.e. on pressing A, he talks, something happens if a particular item is present, else something else. Your way would probably work better though. Certainly be more Scumm-like...

I imagine a shooter would be a bit tough, but a side-on fighter a la BOR might be possible; though presumably with fewer moves and probably no jumping. And very short stages, most likely, due to the high tile count needed for a stage not to look made out of tiles...

Yes. It would be possible to create SpaceInvaders, Tetris, JumpAndRuns and LeisuresuitLarry with some workarounds. But Gigas engine was mainly created for RPGs, i guess. And with this it does a really good job. :D

u can always make short little animations/cartoons using the cutscene feature. lol

U could use hotspots and cutscenes for a Dragon Lair type game

Wow this is my first post in 3 weeks. :D Anyways i agree with toribrand. A castlevania type platformer which we can get sprites on line would be very cool. We can impliment megaman sprites and others.

And Deleted User thanks for introducing me to conquer online. It's 100 times better than diablo2! :lol:

Space shooter type thingy:

Enemies are two enemies side by side, one has long range attack (bullet), and the other (one in front) has lots of range 1 attack (collision). They just move down, and mabye left/right some (hotspot based AI, if there will be something like that?).

You have a double bullet attack, one ontop of the other, and one type of bullet can only hit front ememy, other only back, so the whole enemy is hurt. Of course that would only work if you added something like "fire" bullets don't work against "fire" class things, but "water" bullets are very effective.

Formations can be made with a slowly moving level position thingy (an entity, behind indestructible barrier, so you don't kill it) with invisible hotspots along the way that activate some enemies.

After all enemies are killed, you can teleport to the next map by going to a teleporter that was heavily guarded in a hail of bullets coming from enemies that are about to enter. (or mabye you could try to sneak in ;))

You might need to modify the source a bit, but I don't think it would be that hard :p You could even combine it with a space RPG for when you are traveling between planets or something :D

Back