GP32 How To Develop On A Linux Machine?

Max

Website
Visit site
I switched to SuSE Linux and as a Linux and GP32 programming newbie I am wondering how to start the development on Linux... what do I need, where to get it, do I have to compile it on the Konsole?

Have a look at my site, it's got a page about Linux tools. It will get you up and running with the tools you need for compiling programs from the command line.

As for graphical IDEs, as with everything about Linux you have a choice :). For KDE, there is Kdevelop which is what I use. It's very good as a general editing/building/project management environment. It can also become a full debugging environment, I'm looking into how to do that with mithris' debugging stub so you can debug your program while it is running on the GP32.

There is also Anjuta which is a very polished IDE, and several others that I haven't bothered to look at.

As always, the first thing is to learn to program on your PC, before moving to the GP32. Get comfortable with making programs that run on Linux (print "Hello, World", print all numbers from 1 to 100, open/read/write/close files etc). There are heaps of resources on the internet for learning C.

By the way, learn C rather than C++. If you need C++ then use it, but C is simpler for starting out with.

And good luck :D

Thanks a lot guys, I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.

Actually I programmed C++ for 2 years on a Win32 machine but never been too much in touch with it to be honest. Had to do it at work but my results were pretty crappy. Oh well... seems like I have to start from the beginning again. ;)

Back