How to install Android on your Pandora

Did android work on whatever version of ångström you are using, and if so, which version is that?

I'm using the latest version of the Pandora customized ångström.

I'm an ArchLinux user and I like to live on the latest version of stuff. One of the first things I did when I got my hands on the Pandora was update the firmware. I think I read somewhere to not update if you are not facing problems, but I like to use the latest stable versions.

Edit: angry birds is one of the worst spyware/tracking apps. It uses your location and has horrible things in its eula. The company that owns it isnt a gaming company, its a data mining business.
If you want to play Angry Birds, then you are best off playing it with ApkEnv in any case.

vinipsmaker, on 28 Oct 2013 - 02:32 AM, said: Should I add the Google Play files before the first-run?

It seems that this was the cause of the problem. It's not cool to add the Google-Play files before the first-run. It'll break the installation and you'll need to "reinstall' (erase appdata).

But the Google-play file is STILL hanging the pandora. I need to remove the system folder if I want to use Android.
I did some tests and tracked the whole problem.

I'll begin correcting a false information that I gave (not really, because I used the word 'seems'). The problem was *not* caused by putting the Gapps files before the first-run.

Now the problem: Don't use an ext partition in the Android SD card! If you use an filesystem with permissions support, you need to make sure that Android won't have trouble with the permissions set. There are two ways of guarantee this property, listed below:

• You won't touch the appdata folder manually... EVER!
  • You will manually set the correct permissions for ALL files you change in the appdata folder (specially the system folder).

Unfortunately, if you want to use gapps, the package is in zip-format and you don't know the correct permissions. My advice is: Use a FAT32 partition.

I already made a comment on the Pandora wiki to update the Android page: http://pandorawiki.org/Special:ArticleFeedbackv5/Android/050886dcf7ac4cdcc2fc10bf484f8da9

Nice, fixed it. I think its due to android having problems with ext in earlier android versions. There is a "fix permissions" tool in rom manager. It just says "fixes force close problems"  Ran it on my phone just now

My advice: dont run gapps ;)

Did android work on whatever version of ångström you are using, and if so, which version is that?

Edit: angry birds is one of the worst spyware/tracking apps. It uses your location and has horrible things in its eula. The company that owns it isnt a gaming company, its a data mining business.
Sorry to dredge up such an old topic, but I just wanted to add a +1 comradekingu's suggestion of using the "permissions fix" in Rom Manager. I was really disliking the 2GB limit of FAT cards due to using the "Keep On Device" feature offered by Google Music, which would quickly fill up that 2GB.

Just tried out an install on an 8GB ext4 card (that used to bring up force closes so often that Android was not really usable) and by running the "permissions fix" whenever a force close occurs, that particular error seems to stop coming up afterwards. While the errors still happen here and there, my install is slowly becoming more and more stable.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction! I'll let you know how this continues to develop.

After a few hours testing, I can confirm that Rom Manager completely fixes the problems that arise from using ext4 with gapps. Some "system" related errors seemed like they weren't being fixed, but after turning off as many services as possible (wifi/location) and the running the permissions fix again I haven't gotten a single error!

One step that I would recommend when you first install Android is to go into Settings->Display and uncheck the "Auto-rotate screen" setting (unless you want the screen to be able to be rotated by an app for some odd reason).  That way the screen will stay in portrait under most circumstances.

I have got the classic edition and I have just installed Android as described by ED at the beginning of this thread. It is really slow and most apps crash. Is there a solution for this problem?

Installing the google apps causes the Pandora to reboot when I try to run the Android PND.

I got it to work, and now the setup wizard hangs forever.

Is there any other way to use Netflix on the Pandora? That's my only reason for this.

EDIT: I'm getting close I think, now it's giving me: "Error retrieving information from server [RPC:S-7:AEC-0 K3BJ-2GCI-ARU2W]" in the Google Play Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah unfortunately nothing I do seems to help. I think the Android PND needs an update.

Have you tried installing Netflix through the Amazon appstore or through side loading? Too bad about Gapps being a bit broke at the moment.

lemme see if netflix works for me still and if so ill set you up :)

ok it works great, just watched some Longmire. PM me and ill send you my netflix apk, just install and run.

If you're having trouble with Gapps not working, try this version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xc58i1tr118qbdn

Unzipped this one, stuck the System Folder in like we did with the old one and boom, seems to work perfectly fine. Worth a try if you're fiddling with Pandora Android and getting frustrated that the Play Store isn't working! Make sure you only copy the system folder and not both the System and the Meta-Inf folder and seems to have resolved my issue with Google Apps.

Android is functional on the Rebirth, but the Wifi keeps dropping in and out randomly still. Can't use my external dongle with it, unfortunately. But at least it's useable.

Back