How Well Will Hl2 Run On Nv6800ultra ?

Shadow of Chaos

Website
Visit site
i know that the game is supposed to run well on ati's X800 xt.. but how well will it run on a 6800u? curious because i want to know if there is going to be a big performance drop or if its near.. from benchmarks that ive seen the ultra is not very far behind the XT, like 20 FPS at most.. and that is at highest res, but i dont know if that will reflect the actual game.

any ideas?

Edit.. guess i will be buying the game from here :D special collectors edition with remake of HL & everything

if the benchmarks say fps, what else do you need. Since thats highest quality you should be set. Just pop it down one quality notch and bask in the visual glory. Have fun.

cozmic posted on Oct 20 2004 at 06:44 AM said:
I didn't know that geforce could be built into the gp32.

What do you mean? i posted this in the "Other" part of the forums, in other words.. not relating to gp32.

Last edited by a moderator:
cozmic posted on Oct 20 2004 at 08:15 AM said:
my mistake

You've got an 6800 Ultra and your worrying if it will play HL2 well... of course it will, might be a few fps slower but will be nothing noticeable..

depends, remember, games rely on processor and ram to calculate all the fuctions and pjysics, which HL2 has a whole hell of a lot
processors also help with shadows and shading, so a good card isnt all it takes
but it helps alot

~Octavious

i know that the game is supposed to run well on ati's X800 xt.. but how well will it run on a 6800u?

Well, if you get a new GFX card you can sell me your old one ;)

TBH I'm not really fussed about playing this on all the highest settings, just as long as it runs smoothly and looks decent enough.

Well i have an old mx400 64 meg. And doom runs good enough at "low" settings.
(~15fps) And i have a celeron 2ghz.

This may help you indicate the speed of HL2.
I heard HL 2 is less cpu extensive than doom3.

You should have gotten a GT
its an ultra with software underclocks!
still as good, only 400 bucks
thas what I did , I hit Ultra speeds easly

~Octavious

" Halflife2 is aiming twords a 700mhz proc. with 128 meg ram and DX6.0 compatable card, however, you wont get anything that sets it apart from other games at those levels. Recomended, 2000mhz proc. with 512 meg or more ram and a 9800 equivalent or faster."

system reqs

Time to correct some implied bullshit: the GF6800GT is not guaranteed to overclock. You need some good cooling and even then, it might not. As my PC is right now, any kind of overclocking, including 'Auto Overclocking', leads to visible artifacts and eventually crashes.

I'm not going to bother overclocking my GT, as it runs all the latest games on highest settings, 1600x1200, AA, AF etc etc.... silky smooth. Why would I bother chancing a fucked warrenty, just for a few extra 3dmark points to look at???

Still, it's nice that it can overclock (usually) for the future. But really, there's no game that's out yet, that's going to show any humanly noticable difference, between the GT & Ultra. (2-6 fps in benchmarks: WOW!)

Anyway, you've got one of the best two cards out. It sounds like your under the impression that the X800 is the better. But that's just a matter of opinion. They both win at different games and every benchtest that tests up to around 10 games is in danger of showing misleading results, depending on the game they test with.

Basically, what the hell are you worried about? ATI have been working closely to valve (just as nvidia worked closely with carmack & id) So when the game first comes out, ATIs drivers will be more ready, but even then, your card is going to be the second best, you could have. Then, just wait a few weeks for nvidias new drivers and there won't be much seperating them. (Same thing happened the other way round with doom3).

Anyway, don't worry about it, ffs ;)

sad thing is that the differance of under 10 frames is the only differance in the cards, sept bout 150 bucks
thats why a GT is the best wa ta go, just a bit slower, fine- usually can OC ( never seen one that cant till now ) thats it
still 16 pipelines - has Pixel shader 3 ( ATI CARDS DONT HAVE THAT HA HA HA )

~Octavious

Cheers, u have reassured me.. its already fast enough to be well playable, and then better again once newer drivers are released, i was kind of thinking the X800 has the best of HL2 but i guess your right :)

Octavious.. i bought the Ultra card because i had bad luck overclocking almost everything else in my system, my card comes as 425/1.2 .. this card came factory overclocked so i thought i couldnt go wrong.. just for the record though, i tried overclocking further the core to 450mhz but it couldnt take it and soon crashed in games.. i guess its already highest, that or it wont go no more :) as i understand the GT's cant get 1.2ghz on their memory by overclocking.

One other thing. I havn't tried the HL2 leaked demo since I got my GT. But it used to run pretty well on my old 4200ti.

btw, there's nothing wrong with the card you've got if you can afford it. Personally I prefer nvidia cards, as they just seem to have less problems. In my opinion, you've got the best card money can buy. There are two reasons I got a GT instead: I have a sff case so the ultra wouldn't fit and I couldn't afford the extra cash anyway. But hell, I spent £270!!! just on a graphics card, so I can't really preach about not wasting money. (I was prepared to spend more too!)

i agree, £270 is alot less to spend than £411.. the only reason i got it is because the computer is my main thing for games.. hell, even the bundle of 3 games i got with it isnt much in use, i havent tried X2 or commando's 3... only MotoGP2 which is quite good.

pubjoe posted on Oct 21 2004 at 01:03 PM said:
One other thing. I havn't tried the HL2 leaked demo since I got my GT. But it used to run pretty well on my old 4200ti.
Co-signed, I have 4200Ti too and it ran fine except for parts of the beach level suddenly going unplayable slow. I think that was an unoptimised section or bug, because the rest of the game was smooth.

Back