How Well Will The Pandora Run Video?

You won't have a problem with m4a and m4p on Mplayer if they are not DRM protected. (I have no problem on my internet tablet)

If it's DRM protected I think you'll be screwed up... but well that's all the beauty behind DRM isn't it ?

Ha, DRM. I'm not too concerned about the Pandora as a PMP, all my audio is flac or mp3, and my videos are mostly avi, with the mkv collection of this one anime I like.

I haven't had a lot of luck converting mkvs, but from what I'm hearing, the Pandora should be fine. And if it's not, I can have VLC stream it from my laptop wirelessly to the Pandora. Right?

marshal said:
You won't have a problem with m4a and m4p on Mplayer if they are not DRM protected. (I have no problem on my internet tablet)

If it's DRM protected I think you'll be screwed up... but well that's all the beauty behind DRM isn't it ?
m4ps are usually DRM protected(that's what the p means.)
m4as can be DRM protected still but all my m4as are self-encoded, so no DRM.
Unprotected should be fine. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do buy from iTunes, get the "iTunes Plus" music if you can. It doesn't cost any more than the "regular" music, but it has a higher bitrate, and it's completely unprotected. The Pandora will be able to play that music. Anything else will not be playable from iTunes.

iTunes is going DRM-free; they announced it on Jan 5 or 7 or something, if Google Trends' spike in "itunes" searches is indicative of that. Anyone who cared about DRM or audio quality (if they weren't just buying CDs and ripping to FLAC, re-encoding to LAME MP3 for PMPs) has been going to Amazon MP3 or something for a while.

Actualy the Mplayer version for beagleboard can play HDReady vids (720p) only on Divx codec. To play correctly 720p h264, we need some DSP codecs

Yeh, I had tons of problems getting videos to work smoothly on the beagleboard, I also had lots of audio problems with simple mp3 in some case.
But I guess its mainly enlightenment beeing a huge bottleneck, doing weird things in the background or so. It works fine with some kernels tho, so its clearly a software issue. The problem is that most of the hardware is "new" and the makers don't gave too much detail yet, there is also a big hole in the software area

lulzfish said:
I haven't had a lot of luck converting mkvs, but from what I'm hearing, the Pandora should be fine. And if it's not, I can have VLC stream it from my laptop wirelessly to the Pandora. Right?
The latest PocketDivXEncoder converts MKV files just fine (to DivX and Xvid, that is). I use version 0.3.96.

Actuelly we can stand for Better video player than GP2x but not has good are we want. DVD res vids (with H264?) but not HD vid. Maybe with some time this year we can see some goods improvement on this part.

For me DVD Res vid is what i need, HD files are realy to big to name them light and in the Pandora philosophy

javaJake said:
If you do buy from iTunes, get the "iTunes Plus" music if you can. It doesn't cost any more than the "regular" music, but it has a higher bitrate, and it's completely unprotected. The Pandora will be able to play that music. Anything else will not be playable from iTunes.

I just learned, and think it's worth adding here, that apparently people with existing DRM'ed iTunes Music Store files are expected to pay 20p/30c per track, or 25% (UK)/30% (US) of an album's price (if you bought albums), to upgrade to non-DRM'ed files.

Myself, I use Play.com's MP3 Downloads service. :)

</off-topic, but might be useful to someone>

Yod4z said:
Actualy the Mplayer version for beagleboard can play HDReady vids (720p) only on Divx codec. To play correctly 720p h264, we need some DSP codecs
See this is what I mean, I'm sick and tired of having to convert videos, it takes as much time to convert them as it does to watch them, converting is a waste of time. I just want to be able to watch my videos. I dont think I even have a single divx 720p video, they're all h263 or h264 some with mp3 video some with AAC in MKV or MP4 containers.

The up side though is that there are people here who actually listen and might make an attempt tofix this, with devices like the onda mp4 players or the PSP youhave to wait for some faceless entity to get bored and want to change something for support to be added.

Back