Hp 8220e Cd-rw Conversiion To Ext. Hdd

aaron11193

Hey Telstra, I Hate You.
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey all,

I have had about four spare 40GB HDDs and an old HP 8220e CD Writer laying around for ages and since i needed something to store my music and movies on for boarding school I decided to put the CD Writer and a HDD to use.

I spent the whole day melting (with a soldering iron :-S) the inside plastics of the oversized CD Writer to accommodate a HDD,converting a normal IDE cable to be [Female]<--->[Male] instead of the standard [Male]<--->[Male] and making it about 1 inch long and extending the power socket in the CD Writer case.

I put it all back together (with about 5 screws less :p) and plugged it into power....
*cool whurring sounds :)*

I've plugged the USB into my mac but it doesn't like it.. but then again my mac never liked it when it was a CD Writer.. so I don't see why it would work any better now..
I guess I'll have to find a PC to plug it into..

What do you guys think??

I don't expect too many replies but I posted this on here because I know this forum is full of smarties :)
And CBF looking for a PC forum... boring stuff there..

So I'll assume the CD writer was originally USB and you've nabbed the casing to put a HDD in it, since you found the insides housed a standard IDE connection?

In which case, are you sure the usb convertor supports the harddisk you've placed in it?

Yep it is/was a USB CD writer and the converter went straight to what looked like what could be an internal CD Writer... so i made a connector extension to put a HDD in there because as you might be aware, the CD and HDD IDE plugs are in different places relative to the power plug.

I have no idea on whether it's supported.. i cant find any info on the chip.. i didnt really bother looking at it so i dont know what it is...

Dammit..
Looks like the CD Writer board doesn't support a HDD... Damn you HP!
Oh well I'll just have to buy an Ext. HDD case from ebay..
As for the CD Writer case.. I can probably put an old CD Reader in it and maybe the audio port in the back makes music :lol:

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do with the old CD Writer case/board please let me know :)

Edit: Btw the error I got was 'Device cannot start (Error 10)' or something similar... means nothing to me.

aaron11193 said:
Dammit..
Looks like the CD Writer board doesn't support a HDD... Damn you HP!
Oh well I'll just have to buy an Ext. HDD case from ebay..
As for the CD Writer case.. I can probably put an old CD Reader in it and maybe the audio port in the back makes music :lol:

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do with the old CD Writer case/board please let me know :)

Edit: Btw the error I got was 'Device cannot start (Error 10)' or something similar... means nothing to me.
I have a suggestion: why not stop asking the same forum you shit on in other threads with money making scams for computer advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack said:
I have a suggestion: why not stop asking the same forum you shit on in other threads with money making scams for computer advice?
I dont make any money out of it. Money holds shit all value to me and i have a job so i dont need money from scams. Money is unfortunately a necessity in this world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back