Huawei E220 3g Modem

Thanks for explaining guys!

I didn't know they were actually different. I always thought USB2.0 was just faster but could handle the lower speeds too.

Maybe some day they will come up with a modem like the E220 with USB2.0?

Last edited by a moderator:
Read back a few posts, they already have. ;-) The E160 is just that - pretty much the same modem, but USB 2.0 (and different case). Only learned about it myself the other day.

'Gruso' said:
Read back a few posts, they already have. ;-) The E160 is just that - pretty much the same modem, but USB 2.0 (and different case). Only learned about it myself the other day.
Oops, missed that. Good stuff!

Gruso said:
Unfortunately there are numerous USB 1.1 devices that draw >100mA. This is one of them. According to DJWillis, the E220 draws about 250mA.

Most USB GPS units fall into this category too. I went with the Bluetooth option there.
The spec here

http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/view.do?id=282

says that the E220 is a USB2.0 device..isn't it? What am I missing?

I'm basing the USB 1.1 thing on what DJW said when he tested these, maybe they've done a hardware revision and he just has an older one.

Or, maybe they're rolling out the old "supports" USB 2.0, when it's really just a 1.1 device and no one's ever going to know the difference. Except Pandora owners.

Gruso said:
I'm basing the USB 1.1 thing on what DJW said when he tested these, maybe they've done a hardware revision and he just has an older one.

Or, maybe they're rolling out the old "supports" USB 2.0, when it's really just a 1.1 device and no one's ever going to know the difference. Except Pandora owners.
Ok. I've recently got an E220, same place as yours :) . Will be interesting to see how it works, as you say it might be old stock.

Just comes down to the plumbing needed to connect it doesn't it and I'm likely to need a hub anyway.

Thanks

'Wookiee' said:
'Gruso' said:
Unfortunately there are numerous USB 1.1 devices that draw >100mA. This is one of them. According to DJWillis, the E220 draws about 250mA.

Most USB GPS units fall into this category too. I went with the Bluetooth option there.
The spec here

http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/view.do?id=282

says that the E220 is a USB2.0 device..isn't it? What am I missing?

Thats the Problem how you define a USB2.0 Device... USB2.0 Standart Also defines 1.1 Speed as a low-speed device, so it is technically a USB2.0 Device. It just doesnt supoort the USB high speed profile.

Officially (and annoyingly) USB1.0/1.1/2.0 doesn't actually denote the hardware support, but the standard which was in place when a device was certified. So everything is now certified as USB2.0 even if an identical device would have been certified as USB1.1 a few years ago before 2.0 arrived.

It's more important to specify Low/Full/High speed support. Whilst the E220 is certified as USB2.0, it doesn't support High speed signalling, whereas the E160 does.

I wished OpenPandora had a built in 3G modem where you can insert just the SIM card :)

>I wished OpenPandora had a built in 3G modem where you can insert just the SIM card

Well, I'm glad it doesn't. I've got 3 sim cards already and that's bad enough. Instead I'll let the Pandora tether through bluetooth to where my simcard is located, which is in my 3G phone. Transparent, efficient and easy (unless you've got trouble with the data plans in your particular country, which seems to me to be the real cause for people wishing for built-in sim card support).

Also, the Pandora would be quite more expensive if it had 3G hardware (not to mention the problem with regional differences) and certification. I'm not sure exactly how big the cost would be, but the price difference between the two versions of the TI development system (with/without cellular) is quite dramatic.

Is there any sort of prepaid or inexpensive data-only wireless plan that would work in California? :(

You UK people get all the telecom fun.

'Tor' said:
>I wished OpenPandora had a built in 3G modem where you can insert just the SIM card

Well, I'm glad it doesn't. I've got 3 sim cards already and that's bad enough. Instead I'll let the Pandora tether through bluetooth to where my simcard is located, which is in my 3G phone. Transparent, efficient and easy (unless you've got trouble with the data plans in your particular country, which seems to me to be the real cause for people wishing for built-in sim card support).

Also, the Pandora would be quite more expensive if it had 3G hardware (not to mention the problem with regional differences) and certification. I'm not sure exactly how big the cost would be, but the price difference between the two versions of the TI development system (with/without cellular) is quite dramatic.
Integrated 3G would have been on my wishlist - but i think it just wouldn't fit inside the pandora and/or would make it a lot more expensive.
But the reason i would have wanted 3G is that the pandora's battery life exeeds my phone's battery life when transferring data at 96 kbps by a factor of atleast two (My 6630 can stream(&decode) di.fm 96 kbps max 2-3 hours - if i remember correctly, somebody calculated that the pandora could run over 6 hours with an E220 connected(not sure)). So the problem will be that i'll end up with a pandora w 50%+ battery and a dead phone...

Back