I Know It's Too Early To Think About This, But What Can We Expect

jakshep2

Website
Visit site
well, if there is as much improvement from the gp2x to the pandora as we have seen in 3 years, could we expect a 1.8 GHz machine by 2012? if so, what would be the emulation capacity of that? maybe saturn emulation, or even ps2/gamecube/xbox/psp? A large internal memory, maybe? I'd like to see what can be done with a 9th gen portable console.
thanks.

It's never too early to think about something, but it's definitely too early to have a meaningful discussion about the "next generation" of hardware when this one isn't even out yet. The OMAP3530 is brand new. Pandora will be the first commercial device (maybe 2nd, if you count the Beagle Board) to have it. The hardware that will power the Pandora 2 (if there is a Pandora 2) is probably not even on a drawing board yet. The Pandora platform is more than powerful enough to carry us through the next several years before we would even want something more, let alone something more being possible.

You can make blue-sky guesses about non-existent hardware if you want, but I'm going to reserve my mental capacity for dreaming up ways to use the hardware we're actually going to get in the next couple months.

jakshep2 said:
well, if there is as much improvement from the gp2x to the pandora as we have seen in 3 years, could we expect a 1.8 GHz machine by 2012? if so, what would be the emulation capacity of that? maybe saturn emulation, or even ps2/gamecube/xbox/psp? A large internal memory, maybe? I'd like to see what can be done with a 9th gen portable console.
thanks.
Really I think you can use the PC as an indicator of what you be possible in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's more chance of dual-core and quad-core chips with clocks speeds less than <= 1Ghz, rather than having a 2Ghz handheld.

Squidge said:
I think there's more chance of dual-core and quad-core chips with clocks speeds less than <= 1Ghz, rather than having a 2Ghz handheld.
I think the same. There's been huge improvements over the last 6 months in Linux and it's finally starting to use dual core and 64bit chips the way that they're supposed to be used.
Maybe the next version will include a dedicated geometry processor for the ragdoll effects in 3D etc.? they might not be up to much at the moment but they do hold a lot of potential for making games more realistic and fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back