I Need A Windows Xp Free Virtual Cd Drive Program

Alex.

Retired
Here's how it goes. About a year ago I bought the classic GTA collector's pack (1, London pack, 2) for about $9. I never really gave them a whirl, but recently, after playing Payback, I want to try them out some more. The problem is that they come on CD's, and my laptop's cdrom does not run them at all (it's old, it's starting to give).

So I installed them on my desktop, in the hope that I can copy the installed files from one computer to the other. However, the game needs a CD to run... So, it looks like the thing I need is a virtual CD drive to use on my laptop. I run Windows XP, and after searching around, all I could find were trial versions from dodgy download sites.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick help, I've got Daemon tools working, and ripped an .uif with MagicISO. MagicISO isn't free though, and from what I gathered the trial version has an image size limit. I found this though - http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm - which seems like a great piece of software too.

Thanks again!

Argh, the sons of bitches probably riddled the CD full of copy protection. It works as much as to install the game, but refuses to let me play it. Something along the lines "Wrong disk, insert original disk". Stupid CD-needy games. :angry:

trooper said:
MagicISO isn`t free, But the part of it that you need and that is free, Is MagicDisc.

Get it at the link below.

MagicDisc

Trooper

Hey Trooper thanks for that link :wub: , it works as the complete solution. I just tried Quake 4 and it played perfectly!

fluffyhamster said:
A No-Cd crack is required to play almost all recent games, just google for it.
Unfortunately searching for cracks like that can sometimes be dangerous, as a lot of the cracks have spyware built into them. I have seen way too many 'orrible things happen to PC's due to so called cracks.

Don't do it, you're asking for trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get all of my no-cd cracks from GameCopyWorld. To get to the cracks I usually go onto a mirror and then select Game Index on the right hand side of the screen and then from there find the crack for the game I'm playing.

Thanks for the link, apparently the original GTA has no copy protection whatsoever, I can't imagine what the porblem could be then. I'll try MagicDisc opposed to Daemon to see if that makes a difference. Oh, and I know that it's available for free from Rockstar, but it's 350mb, and since I already have the disk I'd rather not waste the bandwidth and time :)

Edit: I tried MagicISO and the same problem persists.

I imagine it's because of audio tracks on the disc, as ISO files can't support data and audio in one image it's only going for the data. So, you need to image it in something supporting such a thing. Nero or Alcohol could do it fine. If you don't already have them, I'm sure they both have free trials. Good luck.

I used Nero to make a .nrg file, and it seems to work a little better: the thing loads, but a different message pops up:

"Please insert the original GTA disc instead of a backup. See securom.com/copy for more details"

That is simply disgusting. So I actually paid to buy the games I could have got for free, and I'm not even allowed to use them in the way that suits me best? What bullcrap, teaches me right to pay for software :p

I believe that the free version of GTA actually has a few bug fixes to work better in XP n stuff, so you might be better with it anyway. Also, I think that one of the free GTA games has its audio tracks misnamed, so the wrong tracks get played or not atall (although rockstar might have fixed this now).

Ugh, securom is such a pain. To correctly emulate that, you're going to need to use Alcohol 120% with a securom profile and use Daemon Tools securom emulation. Then finally, it'd work without a crack! Be sure to pick .mdf/.mds as the format.

P.S Yeah Nickspoon, .bin/.cue can support audio tracks, it's quite a versatile format

Titcher said:
Ugh, securom is such a pain. To correctly emulate that, you're going to need to use Alcohol 120% with a securom profile and use Daemon Tools securom emulation. Then finally, it'd work without a crack! Be sure to pick .mdf/.mds as the format.
Oooh-yeeeah, sweet tip Titcher, thanks a million :)

Now to quickly dump all the rest of what I've got before the 30-days of mooching off come to an end! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the winning combination for this stuff is Alcohol 120% and Clony XXL. As Clony XXL will you tell the copy protection, then you use Alcohol to rip it. Be sure to rip at the slowest speed possible, this helps with a lot of copy protections. Anyway, good luck.

Back