I Need Help/advice

Masterhackist

Still Fresh
OK, so i have been doing some research and i stumbled upon the GP2X F-200 via Engadget. After some reasearch, i was wondering. Should i wait for Pandora? And another question. I heard something about the XGP but i have been searching and have found practically nothing. Is it better than the GP2X F-200? Worse? Is it even released yet? Any advice would help tremendiosly.
Thanx
MasterHackist

Yes! Wait for the Pandora. The company that was making the XGP went bankrupt so it will not be released. The GP2X is good, but the Pandora will be alot better. The Pandora will (hopefully) come out sometime this summer.

Well, you see i don't have the GP2X F-200, and should i get the F-200 now, or wait till pandora and get only that

Masterhackist said:
Well, you see i don't have the GP2X F-200, and should i get the F-200 now, or wait till pandora and get only that
Wait for the Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can afford the extra cash and are prepared to wait a while, Then you should definitely wait for the pandora.

It`s going to be a fun ride. :)

Trooper

The GP2X is great, but Pandora will be way better (assuming its design / extra functionality appeals to you).

The main advantage of getting a GP2X at this stage is that it's got several years of software evolution behind it. The homebrew is great, most emus have been optimised for the system and run great (with new improved releases all the time), the devs are just starting to get the most of out of the touch screen, and the knowledge base in the community is vast.

Having said that, it's easy to fill up the GP2X with stuff right away but it can take a few months of experimenting, reading the forums and trawling the file archive to find all the stuff that's right for you.

Pandora has immense potential, and will likely come with a few good apps/emus out of the box. But it's going to take a bit of time before it has a software library anything like the GP2X.

From a portable media player viewpoint, the GP2X can be fussy and fiddly, and I have no doubt that the Pandora will kick it's blessed little bottom out of the box. Then there's everything else Pandora will offer - I won't list the immense feature set here, but you're virutally looking at a mini laptop. If you want a truly powerful, versatile device, it's Pandora all the way. If you only care about playing old games and want instant access to established emus, maybe a GP2X is the better option.

[edit] I should also add that I wasn't 100% happy with the d-pad on my GP2X until I modded it. I also had to add my own stylus holder. Pandora will not require such mods. ;)

OK, thanx guys. I still think i am going to get the F-200, and the Pandora maybe after a while and a price drop, and Gruso, how did you change your d-pad? and does the Pandora have internet? does it run linux?

OK guys, thanx so much, i feel like i still will get the GP2X F-200, it has mostly good reviews and it looks like a great console, pandora looks so small to have a keyboard and d-pad and so on, and Gruso, could n e one do that mod? it looks kinda hard

It's fiddly, but it's really just snipping, sanding & glueing some plasctic. The hardest part is actually taking the GP2X apart and putting it back together again. Of course, you might be perfectly happy with the way it is from the factory. Many people are. :)

@Gruso:
How did you add the stylus holder? Was it internal or did you attach a pen casing to the side or something?

Back