I Need Some Help

7zark7

Have been wasting loads of time with the official sdk and getting nowhere, i get a succesfull build but the gpe will not run.

Life is to short to be buggering around with a sdk and document which seems full of misinformation, plus I have never used codeblocks before.

So the question is , what are you using for development , what works... I did google around looking for a development how to , but unless I am missing it ....

I can do either windows or linux , so any advice would be more than welcome.

Mark

i'm using codeblocks inside a VM using orkie/torpor's toolchain:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48635-a-slightly-more-complete-toolchain-libs-for-linux-devs/

the generated binaries are running without any problems on my wiz. i've created my PACC entry with this toolchain.

setting up codeblocks isnt difficult, you just need to setup a new compiler that points to the correct binary locations. use hints from the gp2x wiki http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Using_CodeBlocks

thats in fact all you need. the toolchain contains SDL you may need to get some quick test app running.

just to be sure: you actually need to DRAW something, a simple "cout << "hello world"; endl;" will NOT work!

*edit*
if you want to stay on windows: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,14,333 might also help. never tried it by myself but it is said that it works without problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use GLBasic (Windows development only at the moment). It's an enhanced BASIC like language that is easy to learn, very fast and offers 2D and 3D functions. It cross-compiles so that you can run your game on numerous platforms including GP2X, iPhone/iPod Touch (requires a Mac and Apple license to allow your apps to appear on the AppStore), Linux, OSX etc.

It's not free, but it's well worth the money and you don't have to worry about SDKs or C (unless you want to), and there's no setting up. Even updates (which are very regular) are accessed from inside the IDE.

It's not without its faults, but it definitely has more positives than negatives (especially for anyone that doesn't want to delve too deeply into the inner-workings of pcs etc.)

I've created numerous games with GLBasic, for pc, GP2X and Wiz, including B'lox!, Balloonacy, Dicey, Drench and SantaMania (these are all available in the OpenHandheld archive).

Fenix and Bennu are also enhanced BASIC styled languages that are freely available. I used Fenix many, many years ago, but it's probably changed a lot since then. For an example of games created in Fenix, check out Ruckage's stuff.

I've got a custom makefile, and the sdk libraries installed on my Linux machine. I'm doing all my dev and testing in Linux, then I just use my wiz makefile to "port" it over. I hate IDE's so I'm just using SciTE text editor and doing my build from the command line.

I am building working binaries using the offical SDK and Codeblocks (However these are my own projects, the 2DTutorial crashes, I expect I need to install the DGE lib onto my Wiz).

One thing that caused my a lot of problems was the amount of old cygwin DLLs on my system. I cleared out all the existing DLLs (including those in the bin area of the SDK) and then installed the latest version of cygwin. This solved a lot of my issues.

Hi Mark

I am also using torpor copy of the toolchain with a makefile. I did have some trouble getting the makefile to work though. But it works now, so if you need a copy, let me know.

To see the reason why your gpe won't run on the wiz you could try launching it from your a terminal like Termula2x, and you might get an error message.

/Uni

For now, I am using the USB serial capability and that allows me to run programs directly and see their output and even use the precompiled gdb that you can find on the gp2x side of the file archives (it is compatible with Wiz). Unfortunately, getting USB networking working was not possible with the latest firmware for me, I had a lot of trouble and don't have the time right now. If you can get USB networking working that is a far superior option to USB serial because it will allow you to log in via telnet as well as mount shared folders on your dev PC so you don't have to constantly copy things to SDs (either through the built-in card reading functionality or an external card reader). Devving for the original version of the GP2X was much, much easier overall. GPH really went out of their way to be lazy and not include support out of the box for telnet and networking and all that, they are retarded!!!!

I am using GNU/Linux as an OS and am actually using the Open2X toolchain for the GP2X. It is actually perfectly compatible with the Wiz as long as you link dynamically, not statically. If you use an OS other than GNU/Linux you will find yourself having to work a little too hard getting things working, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back