I Re-pre-ordered And My Bank Froze My Account

dgame

I read where something similar happened to someone else so I just wanted to confirm.

1. I got the re-order email.
2. Paid using my Bank of America Card.
3. Received confirmation from Jacquelyn

4. Went to lunch.
5. Same card DENIED.
6. Called Bank of America and they turned it back on.

The Bank actually sent an email alert about the "Irregular Check Card Activity‏" but I was at the restaurant then.

YMMV

Same thing happened to me. I actually had to re-re order. The first time I placed the order the bank had called me almost instantly but I did not pick it up and they denied it but the second time around I picked up the phone when they had called and confirmed the purchase.

I'm on BofA, hope this doesn't happen to me. Did you try to do it several times? Only time they've froze mine was when I did two in a row because the online form rejected my first attempt.

RajTakhar said:
bad luck dude - banks seem to be screwing everyone right now
They've been doing that for years... They're just more brazen about it these days- which is a bit perverse, considering that the screwing they've been doing and are doing is what put them in the bind they're currently in.

cbox said:
I'm on BofA, hope this doesn't happen to me. Did you try to do it several times? Only time they've froze mine was when I did two in a row because the online form rejected my first attempt.
I've had them lock things on several occasions that had nothing to do with that sort of thing. Their fraud people are a bit...capricious...if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, no, no - you've got it all wrong.

This is the important part:
gp2xs said:
4. Went to lunch.
5. Same card DENIED.
It's because you ordered too much fried food at lunch - it's actually the "dietary control option" that's kicking in. BoA is just watching out for you is all.

Just trust me on this, OK?

Svartalf said:
RajTakhar said:
bad luck dude - banks seem to be screwing everyone right now
They've been doing that for years... They're just more brazen about it these days- which is a bit perverse, considering that the screwing they've been doing and are doing is what put them in the bind they're currently in.

Why perverse? They've been screwing us over, they messed up, and now we bail them out with taxpayer money. Why bother to try and hide it any more - obviously we LIKE being screwed over!

This is an automated card security algorithm taking effect.
Out of country charge to an account with no prior history with the bank.
Automated hold is put on the charge.
Typically, you call the bank card number, get an automated message to verify the charge, and then the charge hold is removed.

At least for credit card accounts.
Debit accounts may be more strict.

j.pickens said:
This is an automated card security algorithm taking effect.
Out of country charge to an account with no prior history with the bank.
Automated hold is put on the charge.
Typically, you call the bank card number, get an automated message to verify the charge, and then the charge hold is removed.
No, this is his card locked out, not the charge held... BofA has an automated system that monitors charge activity and red-flags anything that might be "suspicious". Some classes of activity trigger an automatic lock-out of ANY ability to use the card at all. Some classes don't, but the fraud team members decide to pull the trigger themselves on it. I've been called on my mobile by them before, just before they were about to lock the whole account down. I've also had them lock it out and wait for me to call up checking up on why in the hell my account was denying a charge on things.

The protection only seems annoying until it actually solves the problem it was designed to solve. You might be cursing your bank for locking the account, but if someone had actually gotten ahold of your card (or a copy) and went to use it, I'm sure you'd be appreciative of the security then.

I think it's the way the payment is taken. You're happily using your card in the USA, then a transaction appears from the UK. Alarm bells ring because you can't be in two places at once.

Just a guess.

A friend had his debit card used to buy rail tickets in Sweden, about $600 worth of tickets, several trips, and his account wasn't locked or flagged for suspicious behaviour. Kinda makes me wonder.

cbox said:
A friend had his debit card used to buy rail tickets in Sweden, about $600 worth of tickets, several trips, and his account wasn't locked or flagged for suspicious behaviour. Kinda makes me wonder.
If the tickets were purchased via a Travelocity type website, the transaction might still take place in country.

When I ordered my Pandora my bank called me at work within 15 minutes, after first calling my house.

Same here. PNC denied the charge. I had to call the bank to have them authorize the charge...at least your bank called you :blink:

jdh2550 said:
No, no, no - you've got it all wrong.

This is the important part:
gp2xs said:
4. Went to lunch.
5. Same card DENIED.
It's because you ordered too much fried food at lunch - it's actually the "dietary control option" that's kicking in. BoA is just watching out for you is all.

Just trust me on this, OK?

+1 :p

Lets just hope that you can order your pandora :rolleyes:

Chaosstorm said:
Lets just hope that you can order your pandora :rolleyes:

Unless he plans on deep frying it and smothering it in garlic butter, I don't see a problem here.
On the other hand, that does sound tasty.

The Pandora order did go through, just not my lunch order!

I was fortunate to be at lunch with one of these new “independent” women who apparently don’t mind paying the bill. And yes we’ve gone out again since then.

As for the Pandora it looks like I got in before the latest Credit Card lock-out.

Back