I Think I've Turned My Gp2x Into A Brick

perlgeek

Still Fresh
I think I may have reduced my GP2X to an expensive brick in less than 24 hours. Here's what happened, and if anyone can suggest any way to resurrect it, I'd be very grateful.

When I first got the unit, it would play MP3s and DivX videos off the SD card just fine.

Spent some time trying to get some games to work, with some limited success. After installing the SDL libraries, simple games like Lines and Bubbles were working.

Sometime later, I noticed that the music player would no longer play MP3s, even files that had played just fine initially.

I tried to update the music player using this firmware patch; http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,877

Since all it does is replace the music player and ebook viewer programs, I figured it was safe enough. Unfortunately, when I ran the .gpu file (all it does is cp the new files over the old ones), the machine locked up. After 5 minutes or so, I tried to reboot it, but it wouldn't come up - I just get a screenful of coloured lines.

Now, the 'GP2X' splash screen comes up if I have an SD card in the unit which contains this gp2xkernel.img kernel image file; http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,876
But, that's as far as it goes - it just locks up showing the splash screen. Without the SD card, or if the kernel image file is not on the card, I just get the coloured lines.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or have I permanently destroyed my new toy already? :(

Any help would be very gratefully received.

David

Well, David. Before you do anything, I just want to confirm whether it's a brick or not?
Does it look anything like this? :lol:
brick_o.jpg

The batteries that come with the unit suck. They run out in less than an hour. Put in a couple of new ones to test if the unit works and then buy rechargable 2500+ mAh NiMH batteries ASAP. Preferably ansmann 2500mAh NiMH PHOTO batteries if you can find them.

Yes, fresh batteries fixed it.

I now feel embarassed but relieved!

Many thanks for the help, people.

David

Heheee :)

First solution for gp2x problems is the same as for GP32 problems:
Batteries are dead :)

The GP32 and gp2x way of handling dead batteries scares away a lot of people for the first time :)

There should atleast be a small battery meter in the main menu. =P
Ah well, guess I'll need to get used to it too. :p

Aww.. you were most likely the first person ever to brick their GP2X.. you could have been famous.

Aww.. you were most likely the first person ever to brick their GP2X.. you could have been famous.

Nope, he would have been the 5th that I know of ;) :p.
  • 1: I bricked my dev kit experimenting then fixed it (3 times).
  • 2: Squidge bricked a dev kit experimenting then fixed it.
  • 3: Woogal bricked a dev kit experimenting and is fixing it.
  • 4: Foft bricked his new retail unit by messing with the libraries on the NAND – I am going to try and fix it for him. Don't mess with the NAND guys ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere in a spanish forum that franxis had bricked his while assembling it.

Back