Im Sorry... So Sorry...

I really think that microdrives could be a possible solution, as long as you set the microdrive to sleep after x minutes of inactivity and supply a better power supply
a study once stated that the difference between IBM's and toshiba's drives may differ to almost double the power consumption, so I would really recommend an IBM one, although if you're dropping the ball, all these avices would do no good

Ok, I’m sorry if I come off as flaming, I’m tired, I’m sick, I'm sick and tired...

Stealth Bagel said:
It was an interesting idea but having seen the inside of the gp2x with my own two eyes I know there's barely room for anything in there. A laptop HDD is huge and even a microdrive is pretty big, maybe putting a tiny laptop HDD enclosure in your pocket and running a lead to the gp2x or hanging it on the back of the unit would work better, but inside; I just don't see mechanically how it could be done.

You definitely don't need to apologize though. It was a good try and if it didn't work out, oh well.
My intentions were to completely retool the plastics, in other words I wanted to rebuild the GP2x entirely including the plastic housing to include the new hardware. The mod called for 4 batteries, this NECESSITATES remaking the plastics to accommodate the additional batteries, and of course the hard drive (which I was planning to use a 1.5” 60~80GB hard drive). The primary reason I QUIT is because I couldn’t figure out how to make said plastics in a manner that looked good.

As for the external drive… no, that defeats the idea. The idea is to have an INTERNAL hard drive. An external jobbie would add a level of complexity that I don’t want. besides it’s been done.

Thanks for the kudos though.

cyclone5uk said:
What about the tiny Toshiba drives that fit inside Ipods?

I think the whole thing is a moot point anyway - there are amazing advances happening in solid state memory, for example the upcoming ASUS Eee notebook uses solid state memory and doesn't even have a HD. Not mention the possibility of SDHC (up to 32GB apparently?)

I think within the next 3-5 years we will begin to see the complete replacement in all portable devices (laptops, notebooks, mp3 player) from Traditional Hard Disks to solid state memory.
As for the drive type… yeah, I was planning on using a drive out of a creative vision M… same thing really.

And as for the SDHC… yeah, that’s reason 2 for halting this… that and the F200 having a decent (looking) D-pad… yeah… Project died.

garzyboi said:
and yea yea Iconyx I catch your drift...granted I guess if you were a traveling jerk who wanted all his junk shoved on a hard drive...and just couldn't be satisfied...
Dude… I have a 1.5Terabyte array in my server at home simply because I can… I am the epitome of the “storage whore”… OF COURSE I want to “all my junk” shoved on a hard drive. :p

gavie said:
Just wait for the SDHC cards, i doubt any harddrive would fit, maybe you could mount a lot of flash memory inside but there just isn't more space..
*sigh* <holds bridge of nose> here we go again… a hard drive would fit man, if you plan to rebuild the plastics FOR a hard drive… also I was not planning to use a laptop hard drive, I was planning to use a SMALLER drive. Smaller physically… the drive dimensions would EASILY fit in the existing plastics if one were to remove the batteries actually. But because I needed 4 batteries to run the thing I would have to rebuild the housing to encase it all… that is why I quit, because I could not make it look good.

And secondly… yes. I like the SDHC support idea. It makes this all moot and is a MUCH cheaper option… HOWEVER, you can’t use SDHC on the old gp2x, you will have to buy the f200 or “hack” your firmware… which is dangerous at best.

Lint said:
I really think that microdrives could be a possible solution, as long as you set the microdrive to sleep after x minutes of inactivity and supply a better power supply
a study once stated that the difference between IBM's and toshiba's drives may differ to almost double the power consumption, so I would really recommend an IBM one, although if you're dropping the ball, all these avices would do no good
yes, yes. I considered all this, and trust me, it WOULD have worked.

Ok, in the end here is the LAST thing I will say:

This WOULD HAVE WORKED. I had planned for everything, on paper and based on the projects of others this would have all worked beautifully! The problem was pretty much a mater of cost and of how to make the new plastics. I couldn’t make ti LOOK good. That was IT! there was NO OTHER FLAW IN THIS PLAN. Just the plastics.

Now that there is SDHC support there is no reason to continue with it. Thank you for your input. I just posted originally to apologize to those that were looking forward to seeing this. But now with changes in the gp2x community It wont be done. It doesn’t NEED to be done. So that’s it. Thanks and good night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back