Infinity Engine Clone For Linux

bsamm97

Still Fresh
I have been reading about a Linux-based Infinity Engine Clone hereand I'm curious to know if this could be ported to Pandora?

It would be nice to be able to play those old Bioware games again

Just searched for GemRB and I see that Adventus has stated here that he is going to work on porting it. Yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, im watching this project of germRB since i saw it running at a nokia 95 the baldur's gate... Didn't knew that it was going to be port the engine to pandora, nice to hear that. But i think we'll have to wait at least a year for see baldurs gate on pandora... :(

That looks cool. Just read about Planetscape: Torment and that looks interesting. Hope it something that will play (and that I can find a copy!)
Thanks for bringing this up or I wouldn't have known about it!

Could the UI then be adapted to fit the screen?
Bigger fonts, symbols etc.? i think it would be
great to carry around heavy calibers like
Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment. Did
Icewind Dale use the same engine? I think so.

\o/

GemRB, from their website doesn't look that active, but checking their IRC channel shows there is work being done what appears to be almost every hour of every day. It's still far from complete (especially for anything other than BGII) but it's making good headway. It's stupidly fast too.

Eventually, it -should- support:

Icewind Dale 1/2
Baldur's Gate 1/2 (and expansions)
Planescape Torment

Infinity engine clone as in like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE
If so, that is really cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
As cool as that is, this is what GemRB is hoping to eventually clone to 100%.
The video that you linked is basically just a (very impressive) tech demo of an engine that a small team is still working on. It looks like it is, theoretically, compatible with OpenGL, so therefore a port, when it's done, may not be outside the realms of possibility, but that will be years from now. I suggest never bringing it up again, and focusing only on the original Infinity Engine.

edit: to clarify, I say "theoretically compatible with OpenGL" because I can't tell if it uses OpenGL directly, or another rendering engine that uses OpenGL in the back end.

Seriously, if Balders Gate ends up on the Pandora I would by it without a second thought. That is by far one of my most loved games, I even bootcamped my Mac to play it...

What are the chances of a port?

(sorry for being such a n00b)

Back