initial MILL review

TJFBryant

Island Man with Pandora in my pocket
Well I've came, I 've saw, I still haven't beaten it yet. At least all the endings anyway. Yes thas right Mill has multiple ends. But that isn't whats drawing me back to play it all over again. To be honest, its not to see the endings, but the go through the different pathsand see all the vast lands. But let me talk about this at the end of my pathetic review.

First off, the graphics.
The graphics are superior to almost all Gp32 commercial games out to date. The sprites are very clean looking, which means the quality and detail is very good. Although the sprites are not as large as the ones in Her Knights, they are not too small where you can't make out the detail of the character. Also you may find that every character even the very minor ones who are just there to add to a crowded street do not look the same. Every character is distinctly their own. I still haven't found any 2 characters who look the same. This tells me that the Developer took time to make sure it didn't look like a repeated area you are exploring. Of course one kind of enemy (like giant flying bees for example) will always look the same but its like that in most games of this nature.
For the rest of the game artistically, its a real pleasing sight on the eyes. The background is very well done. There you will find that when side scrolling through the lands you will not find the backgrounds looping (building- mountian, building -mountain, building -mountain..etc).
As most of you very well know, MIll uses a triple scrolling technique which adds visual depth the game. You have the background, the middle area mainly for roaming and exploring and the foreground. The foreground consists of trees and vines, building pillars, bridges, cave stilagmites. The foreground is what adds the feeling of visual depth in the game. Sometimes when playing, the foreground blocks the view of the battles, BUT you really just have to play it smart and let the enemies come out to you and fight.
The animation of all characters are well done. Its nothing to really brag about because honestly the only character who is truely animated to the fullest extent is MIll, Tucker (the Umbrella) and a few main enemies and bosses. All of the other characters have very simple animations like walking, or sitting down and drinking a beer. that kind of thing.
All in all, the graphics are very well done. No framerate slowdown. and choppy animations everything runs and looks like a gem. 8.9/10

Sound....here is where it gets a little ugly.
The sound (to me) just wasn't that impressive..at all. The music is looped every 30 seconds to a minute throughout the entire game, with the exception of fighting some main bosses. The music does not hurt the ears, but listening to it closely for 30 minutes to an hour straight makes you whistle it later on all day till you go crazy. Ok I exaggerated it little, but its not great symphonic music.
The sound effects are done well. The variety of sound effects are not really there, but it gets the job done.
Overall, the Sound including the music was a little of a dissapointment. It doesn't take away from the urge to play it over and over again....which is definitely a good thing. 5.5/10

Gameplay...suprisingly refreshing..
I say suprisingly refreshing because it really doesn't have to be a button smashing battle game. True, you could button smash, but later on in the much hard levels you will have to use more of your head and not your fingers. The game is an exploring battle game, the best exploring game I have seen on any handheld to be honest (And I have most of all the handhelds that have ever come out.) You play as Mill, who explores vast lands of danger and serenity. You will never see 2 lands ever look the same. You will go from a desert village, to caves, to dangerous green grassy pastures. I will not give away some of the other suprises you will definitely find along the way, but it is a welcome treat. Their are powerups and enhancements you gather and buy along the way plus save points in store areas. With the vareity of exploration and a fighting combo system which is more than a button smashing fest, the gameplay adds more reasons to come back. 9/10

Language....the dreaded question????
Yes....its in Korean...all the dialogue anyway.
Yes... to fully understand the story and figure out which way to go you need the dialogue.
No ...you don't really need to understand the story or dialogue to get through the entire game.
Some of the English in the game gives you titles and menu options...but overall its in Korean.
*** (Recently I have talked to Treebuds soft, the creators of the game. While they have not created an english version or patch of the game. GamePark is in serious talks with them to get an English version out the non Korean public. Yes folks from the email I received from them, it looks more promising than getting the English Patch for ASR anytime soon.
The langauge is a barrier when trying to understand the story, but it does not stop you from getting into the game. It is very possible to finish the game at least one of the storylines.
Would I be happier if it was in English? Hell Yeah.
Would I still play the game without it?? Most definitely.
Game overall ratings
Graphics: 8.9/10
Sound: 5.5/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Language: for Koreans (10/10) for non Korean speaking (2/10)

I may have missed some details as far as storyline and abilites of the characters. But I really would like those who are interested in trying the game to play it and find out these things on there own...its more fun. I will just give one thing away. Once you beat certain levels of the game you get the ability to view different pictures in the picture viewer on the main loading screen.
Its worth the 18,000 Mileages to buy it at JoyGP. The boxed version I would wait for the english version to be released.

good review, cheers for that

just got my student loan in, so i may have to purchase it :D

The "cock and donkey" scene is a rageing type fighting style you go into when your rage meter reaches 100%. It helps you deal more deadly blows against your opponents. I didn't bother mentioning this because I figure you guys would like to find out for yourself. If you (timthepig) are talking about another scene, I have not gone down that path yet to see it. But thats ok.

The 18 grade certificate for the mature audience hasn't been totally figured out yet. This cock and Donkey scene maybe part of it. There is a scene in the beginning where 2 dogs or little creatures head off into the bushes to do a little canoodling, but its not very revealing...*Thank GOD*

Also I believe the MIll game received an 18 age level because perhaps the dialogue may be a little more mature for audiences over Pokemons age spec. Who knows...there are a few suggestive scenes but its really nothing to be anxious about. (AND NO...I am not going to describe those scenes) ;)
One final thought...This I failed to mention in my review because I did not notice it till now. There are some bugs in the scrolling that some others may recognize. The top half of the screen has been looped to the bottom half of the screen. It is noticable, but for some reason it does not always happen. Understand that bugs will always be present in Games for GP32 users or any other game produced for any other system. BUT yes things like this shouldn't happen. So does this decrease my overall view of Mill. No. It is a careless bug. But it does not hinder the gameplay or enjoyment. I didn't know it was there till half way through the game. My overall score for Mill, which I didn't bother to post is a 8.5/10.

Back