IRC question

Fzero

Advanced Member
So I have logged onto #openpandora twice.

First, before I had my Pandora, from my Android phone.

Then, recently from my Pandora, using the OS bundled X-Chat.

I installed from repo the other day, Quassel IRC Client.

But I've messed up with the login... tbh I've no idea what I set it as originally, when first logged in.

I've tried the;

/msg nickserv register [pwd]

but get prompt reply stating already registered, I guess by me.

So basically, I'm wondering how I go about reseting the password for my handle so I can keep a note of it this time and log in with that one on the new Quassel client.

Is it something I need to get ED to do for me? Assuming ED is the #openpandora channel admin that is.

I've very little experience with IRC in general, used it a handful of times only ever.

I'd like to continue using the FZERO handle I've registered already

I have the same problem. Cannot remember my old password, would be great if there was a reset at all. Or I'll continue using a different name unregistered :p

I don't think a channel admin can sort you out - you'll need a freenode chap to do account stuff.

Perhaps you can get your password out of the xchat config. I'm away from either my Pandora or my computer at the moment, so I'm not sure how feasible that is.

• servlist_.conf - List of networks
  • xchat.conf -     List of config

You can at least back up those to a new installation of xchat, passwords might be saved in plaintext, have a look.

thanks, guy at #freenode just dropped it for me so was able to register it again

On XChat on Debian x86, I had to install a SASL plugin to make it authenticate with an account. The config for that is in ~/.xchat2/sasl.conf, and does include your password in plaintext.

Back