Is It Possible To Buy A Dev Kit?

rello

Still Fresh
Just wondering if its possible , as i would like to begin practicing developing some simple games.

Make sure your fluent with SDL on the PC or GP2X, then you can almost port your games straight across when the console comes out.

Yep, except i was writing some basic programs for the gp2x and practicing a bit and making more and more complicated things but nothing to big , but then my gp2x was stolen and i dont have the money to buy another gp2x then buy a wiz when it comes out so i was just wondering if i could get a wiz dev kit now instead of waiting until march to start programming again. Thanks for the response.

rello said:
Yep, except i was writing some basic programs for the gp2x and practicing a bit and making more and more complicated things but nothing to big , but then my gp2x was stolen and i dont have the money to buy another gp2x then buy a wiz when it comes out so i was just wondering if i could get a wiz dev kit now instead of waiting until march to start programming again. Thanks for the response.
I think Squidge's point was if you're just coding using SDL, then you can do it all on a PC, and effectively just rebuild it for the Wiz when you have one to test it on.

I'm using that same approach with a Pandora game I'm working on, and I might port it to Wiz too, in the same manner

Last edited by a moderator:
So i gather it is impossible to buy a dev kit, thanks for the replies.

No i bought the f-100 back in the day but it got stolen recently, so yea i did get ripped off in a way : (

Just wanted to continue playing around with some small programs i made on the go, also the media functions of it. I could just buy a f200 but then i would feel as if i was wasting money when i buy the wiz in march and probably would not be able to buy one. If theirs something wrong with picking up the Dev kit other then some hardware/software issues please let me know, if its even possible to get a dev kit. PS I also wanted to play around with the Wiz SDK if that comes with it but i dont really mind if it doesnt. And yes im aware i can just wait until March but i am not really anticipating any new features which may be included in it such as flash 8 or what ever its going to be.

ah okay, my bad ill clarify
By Dev kit i mean the protoype of the system,

GPH typically give out the Dev Kits to whoever they prefer (people who have written game software in the past for the GP2X). I very much doubt they are up for sale.

The best you can do is wait until the public release.

Besides, the Dev Kits are more for people who want to do lower-level, i.e. non-game/application level work. I dont think you need a Dev Kit unless you wanna write drivers or assist with the OS distribution layout/packaging/development.

For normal 'user' applications (games and so on), using your Linux PC with the SDL lib and maybe a bit of the Powever OGLES SDK would be all you need to do to get started.

Back