Is It Worth Geting?

johnboyjr

Still Fresh
I have a wiz and a psp(never use its to big) is it worth geting a dingoo? can it play mario rpg? I like the look of the dingoo

If you already have a Wiz, there really isn't much point. The build quality and the way the system looks is nice, but personally, you probably shouldn't bother throwing down more money for a system that isn't going to bring you anything you don't already have.

I've just ordered one. TBH, I've a kid on the way and couldn't justify the cost of the Wiz when comparing it to the Dingoo. I don't think I'd order one if I already had a Wiz.

the wiz does everything the dingoo does and more. it has an established community (these forums) so you can expect software, emulators, and such to be released on it.

if it were a choice between the dingoo and wiz, i'd choose wiz, for the reasons stated above and because of the OLED screen, really, you can't see how much of a difference the OLED screen makes until you actually hold it in your hands.

I've found I use my (second) Dingoo much more than the Wiz - the first one had something wrong with the screen, the viewing angle was badly messed up - my new black one is fine. Not sure why really, and I wasn't really expecting it to be the case, but there's just something about it that I like :)

Having to mess around with the shitty Wiz firmware might have been a factor, and the touchscreen on mine just won't calibrate, making it useless. The OLED screen is amazing though, you really do have to see it to believe it.

Given the build quality, price, and Dingux-factor, if I could only keep one, it'd be the A320.

From what I have seen so far, I would say you would be better off with a used gp2x. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it isn't bringing much new to the table and is not likely to do so.

fishybawb said:
I've found I use my (second) Dingoo much more than the Wiz - the first one had something wrong with the screen, the viewing angle was badly messed up - my new black one is fine. Not sure why really, and I wasn't really expecting it to be the case, but there's just something about it that I like :)

Having to mess around with the shitty Wiz firmware might have been a factor, and the touchscreen on mine just won't calibrate, making it useless. The OLED screen is amazing though, you really do have to see it to believe it.

Given the build quality, price, and Dingux-factor, if I could only keep one, it'd be the A320.
Your logic about the touchscreen makes no sense. It is not like there are any Wiz apps that require the touchscreen, and almost nothing uses it. The Dingoo doesn't even have a touchscreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
fishybawb said:

Your logic about the touchscreen makes no sense. It is not like there are any Wiz apps that require the touchscreen, and almost nothing uses it. The Dingoo doesn't even have a touchscreen.

I think he just meant that his touchscreen was useless. Not that the touchscreen not working makes the wiz worthless.

I think he just meant that his touchscreen was useless. Not that the touchscreen not working makes the wiz worthless.

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry, probably badly worded on my part :)

If a handheld has a touchscreen, it'd be nice if it actually worked. True, very little software supports it, but it might turn out to be useful for mouse emulation.

Hmm, the touchscreen on my Wiz works perfectly. And there are many apps, games and emulators who utilise it very well. ScummVM, most of Ruckage's games (e.g. Space Varments), Mushroom Roulette, Boomshine, Wiztern, Blox, Blix2x, Termula2x, Quick Note, Wizsticks and Pickle's static compiled ports (e.g. X-Com).
There is a demo for a commercial puzzle game called Propis which uses the touchscreen only and you can make great combos with it. The same applies to Wizsticks.
Even UAE4all and (AFAIK) Outcast use it. Not very well, but you can't blame the touchscreen for this. I think it's a problem with the code.
Last but not least the menu and the flash engine use the touchscreen. Many flash games and the build in flash apps use it.

Regards,
Stephan

christo930 said:
From what I have seen so far, I would say you would be better off with a used gp2x. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it isn't bringing much new to the table and is not likely to do so.

Agree. From a software perspective the Dingoo doesn't add a lot. Battery and d-pad might be enough for some people to buy one or trade in their GP2X. Fighting games are pretty hard to play on a GP2X (especially F100). And the price is the big selling point vs the Wiz.

Will it be ever possible to play FX-Chip Snes games? And will it ever be possible that emulators (nes, snes, smd, sms, neogeo, gb/c/a) will work with fullspeed on the dingoo? That's important because I can't decide if I should buy a wiz or a dingoo.

Baalzebul said:
Will it be ever possible to play FX-Chip Snes games? And will it ever be possible that emulators (nes, snes, smd, sms, neogeo, gb/c/a) will work with fullspeed on the dingoo? That's important because I can't decide if I should buy a wiz or a dingoo.
yes & yes. The unoptimized ports of SNES9X & Picodrive for Dingux (Dingoo-Linux) already run full-speed. Mame4all runs arcade games very well, and the original firmware's neogeo emu works very well. Same goes for the original firmware's NES & GBA emus. As for sms/gg & gb/c there are currently quick ports that allow these games to run (albeit not full-screen). By the time you get your Dingoo from deal-extreme the software will definitely have matured further.

The whole wiz vs. Dingoo debate basically boils down to what you value most. The dingoo is less powerful than the wiz, meaning that the wiz can handle psx & (possibly) N64 emulation in addition to everything the dingoo can run. The Dingoo has better battery life and some say better controls, but the wiz trounces the Dingoo with it's OLED touch-screen (although the Dingoo's screen is not bad at all, better than the DS's). If you're just looking to play everything up to 32-bit you really can't go wrong with either, but the Dingoo will do the job for half the price. If you want that extra horsepower & the OLED screen however, go for the wiz but be prepared to pay the premium for it.

Either way I doubt you'll be disappointed, they're both great machines. Good luck!

(P.S.- If you want to keep up with the latest software for the Dingoo just click on my sig. ;])

Consequence9 said:
Baalzebul said:
yes & yes. The unoptimized ports of SNES9X & Picodrive for Dingux (Dingoo-Linux) already run full-speed. Mame4all runs arcade games very well, and the original firmware's neogeo emu works very well. Same goes for the original firmware's NES & GBA emus. As for sms/gg & gb/c there are currently quick ports that allow these games to run (albeit not full-screen). By the time you get your Dingoo from deal-extreme the software will definitely have matured further.

The snes9x port is ABSOLUTELY NOT fullspeed, yet. It's not far off from the PocketSNES on the GP2X though, which is saying a lot considering how much work has gone into PocketSNES vs how quickly snes9x was ported.

MOST emulators pre PSX COULD run fullspeed at some point. The built-in neo geo emulator is passable. Garou doesn't quite run fullspeed. I believe gngeo2x worked considerably better.

Back