Is Overclocking Safe?

Rico

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
It used to be thought that it was risky to overclock your GP32 to over 133Mhz. However, this was more due to scare stories put out by various people than due to pure fact. Basically, no-one wanted to risk their gp32 to test it. However, since then, many of us have risked the demise of our lovely little handhelds in order to test the theory. I'm happy to say that based on the current evidence, one of two things will happen when you overclock above 133Mhz:-

Either...

- Your GP32 will crash at one of the speeds above 133Mhz (some gp32s o/c to 160Mhz with no probs, but crash at 166Mhz) with no ill effect other than losing your place in the current game...

OR

- Your GP32 will happily overclock to a speed up to 166Mhz, with the only ill-effect being a shortening of the battery life (down to about 2 1/2 hours in my tests)

Some GP32s can go as far as 220 MHz, but we don't recommend anything beyond 180 MHz.

All gp32/flu's are using a Hynix HY57V641620 ramchip and the blus arre using a samsung K4S641632HTC75 , both are specifid to 133mhz, you can (do) set the ram speed to 1/2 of the cpu speed if you are over 66 (or 133) mhz, so you coud get to 266mhz within ram specs

Ram has nothing to do with it - use the search function before posting myths, its been answered so many times before, or check robs site - cobbleware.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Okay thanks. Remember I am simply reposting parts of the out of date FAQ as a starter for the questions, rather than doing them again from scratch. As you yourself have demonstrated any mistakes get picked up quite quickly.

That FAQ is being replaced. Editing two versions is not on the agenda. Since you read that it hasn't been updated, I wonder if you bothered to read the intro message which says that it's outdated and abandoned? I'm sure hando will get around to updating the link to this forum instead.

Also, making this big of a deal about such a trivial issue makes me worry about you.

Back